Why do people post things,

Advice is a tricky thing-----what works and has worked for me for the last two decades will be rejected by 9 out of 10 BYCer's cause I'm not keeping pets. I'm keeping backyard chickens/guineas for eggs, meat, fertilizer, and bug control. (See my BYC page for pics of my setup). Also many people already know what they want to hear and when they ain't hearing it, they get upset. I can be blunt also, but realize my situation/climate/techniques won't work everywhere, I won't give advice on something I haven't done myself or familiar with. But I do like to sit back and snicker at the clueless giving advice to the clueless when the answer is right on the homepage of BYC under chickens 101. I may be a curmudgeon, but I do know how to click a mouse and do a search.

Most of the time it pays to have a bit of a thick skin when the comments or advise isn't what you want to hear or hurtful to hear. Extreme Nervous Nellies/Willies, overprotectiveness, too humanizing, far right politicial views (I mean very, very extreme and very far) and "my ______ is better than yours" attitude better sit at the BYC door until you have enough courage and guts to face all kinds of comments/suggestions/advices that the BYCers have to offer. They won't last long here.

These are the times of internet which you would face ALOT of different people, with different ways of life and would think differently than you. Wouldn't it be boring to have everyone "yesses" someone's question and not give any other information why they agree with the BYCer's question or comment?

I agree with ddawn and welsummerchick's comments.

Dawn, I believe you cannot please everyone all the time and moderating seems to in part be an attempt to do so to keep the civility. Some people speak from the third person viewpoint and others speak from "I" viewpoint. Some offer advice (I am one in this category) in an attempt to help someone from making the same mistake that the poster has made unfortunately it is human nature that we learn from our own mistake like a child touching a hot surface mom says no, no , no but until little Johnny says OUCH! most likely he hasn't learned yet. Nobody likes to be told what they are doing is wrong. I was taught that if something is wrong then no matter how one dresses it it is still wrong kind of like a skunk you can pour perfume on it but it is still a skunk. You are right at least for the sake of civility in these forums that one must pour perfume on an otherwise negative connotative post even if it is meant for truly helping someone. I came to the conclusion in my youth that some folks need protection from themselves and having been in an authoritative position in past careers I can say it is needed and just not on the job. Even folks with the best intentions have bad days.
Quote:

Quote:
And that is why we love you
hugs.gif

On the OP...
I am a teacher and I am more than happy for my students to tell me I am wrong... If you want to learn about something you have to accept that you are wrong sometimes and take the heat. I try not to get upset when someone doesn't agree with me.... I just take a few minutes and try to figure out why they said what they said and look at it from another point of view.

Sometimes it takes a little kick in the booty to realize there are other ways to look at things.

Just because someone posts advice, doesn't mean we have to follow it
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I havn't read through all of the comments here, but would like to point out something important to do. And that is, thoroughly read through the OP's post before you comment...so many times I see people comment back and say "you should this that or the other" and had missed entirely when the op already stated that.

If I read it correctly the OP is suggesting that if one cannot handle the inevitable fallout/responses from a particular post/topic than it is better to not post anything. Which sort of goes against the whole idea of a public forum it would consist of a few posters and alot of lurkers. The site would wither away without participation like other sites. I was a debate champion in high school and can say with some reasonable amount of certainty that it take more than one opinion to have a forum and yes sometimes a dissenting one.

Quote:
clap.gif
I wish I could say more. I REALLY wish I could say more.

Oh No!!!!! Deb, not more!!!!!!!!!!!!
I imagine it's extremely hard for you not to say more, you have great restraint!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom