Why does it seem ducks are hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally I was asking 15 bucks a piece, or 2 or 25 because thats what I always see them go for around here, and what I have paid for them.
Now they are 8 bucks a piece of 2 or 14.

I might just have to put them up for free... I need to get rid of 9

There's the problem. Those are very high prices for this time of year. At a local auction near here ducks are bringing $2-$4.

Last edited:
This time of year, people are starting to think about carrying livestock over the winter, and most are trying to downsize, not add more mouths. Especially this year with feed prices up every time you go into the feed store.

The large number of people trying to give away their unwanted easter chicks and extra rosters have carefully trained the public to think that they can get poultry for free. For some reason, the average guy thinks that if junk is free, then great quality poultry should also be free. That makes it more difficult to sell poultry to non-show homes.

Then, of course, the people who will pay good money are showing and they only want purebreds of top lines and top quality. Even they won't pay what it has actually cost to raise the bird.

I don't like selling for less than I've got in them, so mine go into the freezer.

If you want to sell, your ad must really emphasize the best points of your birds.

Quote:
I just noticed that too! Its kind of scary looking
tongue.png

Hey Watch it
wink.png
It is awesome looking!

eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr......... what exactly is your definition of awsome? because mine is somewhere between small and small caurnicles

Quote:
I agree that seems kind of high. I have had my runners advertised since 2 weeks for $5 each. At 7 weeks, still $5 each. Sold 4, I have been emailing with someone else today who may get 2. Then the rest are off to Nava's chicken swap in Ocala on Saturday with a fellow BYCer. Thank you chics in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BYCers are great.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what they go for around here, usually, even at swap meets. And I mentioned the age of them, I said that the pekin is 7 months old.
the Khakis are 6, and the mixed breed are 2.

I tried putting up pics and everything. I tihnk im just going to give them away,

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what they go for around here, usually, even at swap meets. And I mentioned the age of them, I said that the pekin is 7 months old.
the Khakis are 6, and the mixed breed are 2.

I tried putting up pics and everything. I tihnk im just going to give them away,

After the problems I've had selling mine. No more ducklings for me. Once my muscovy are older maybe but not to sell only to be a bit more self sufficient.

Quote:
Originally I was asking 15 bucks a piece, or 2 or 25 because thats what I always see them go for around here, and what I have paid for them.

There's the problem. Those are very high prices for this time of year. At a local auction near here ducks are bringing $2-$4.

At Local auctions around me they bring in 15-20 bucks per duck, except ducklings they are only like 5 or 10.

And at auctions the ducks are not good quality at all, just pet quality. Or food.

Well someone just emailed me about the pekin drake, and he doesnt seem to mind the price
wink.png

Quote:

I bought my 5 ducks for $8. The owner had 44 hatch out
th.gif
and was selling them for $2 each or 5 for $8. I'm not sure if she was getting much response. She may have been giving them away on Craigslist last time I looked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom