Why doesn't my barred rock have yellow legs.

I don't think she's a cuckoo marans because her beak has some black on it and her barring isn't as clustered. She has the shape of a barred rock except for her unusually large comb.

Here are some pics.
91819_img_0092.jpg

91819_img_0028.jpg

Last edited:
She looks like a hatchery type Barred Plymouth Rock. They are less concerned with type than production. Check out the "Heritage" thread. Several on there have excellent Barred Plymouth Rocks. Kathyinmo held an egg auction some time back for some very good quality Barred Plymouth Rock she acquired from a top breeder.

ETA: Most county fairs are not harsh on judging. Ours does not DQ anything. They get a 1-2-3 score. Enter yours and see what happens. At a sanctioned poultry show, yours wouyld probally be disqualified (DQ). One old time judge wrote a book: Start where you are at and go from there. If you want show quality check with Robert Blol. He can find anything!

Last edited:
I agree with Jim,
They look very hatchery and I would say that it is quite possible that there may be another breed mixed in the works.

Chris

She does look like a hatchery BR. I was lucky in that my hatchery Rocks had nice yellow legs as youngsters, as did their progeny, but there are some who have gotten Rocks with too pale legs from various hatcheries.

My "Pauline" looks just like your girl! I always wondered about the pale legs too. I don't know her age, I got her at auction as an adult, but I've always felt she was an older gal. Her eggs are HUGE and pale brown, and her legs are whitish so I guess we just have us some geriatric birds! : )

Back
Top Bottom