Why Doesn't My Silkie Chicken Lay an Egg

Chictaw

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
Silver Springs, NV
I have a 1 yr and 9 month old silkie that has not layed an egg. Can someone tell me how old a silkie has to be to start laying. She is healthy and lives in the house with us. She wants to live in her cage most of the time. She would rather be in it than come out. Is she to confined? She doesn't like it outside very long either. I have two toy poodles she follows around. Maybe she thinks she is a dog and doesn't have to lay.
lau.gif

Looks like a Silkie hen all right! Silkies don't lay very many eggs in the first place. Sometimes a hen will never lay an egg for her entire life. Give her time, and wait until the days are longer--chickens prefer to see 14 hours of daylight before starting up laying again in the spring. Maybe because she's an indoor chicken she doesn't get enough daylight to tell her that it's spring and she can begin laying.

I agree about the daylight. Also, What are you feeding her?
We feed her layer food. She is a funny girl, we try to feed her fruits/veggies, but she doesn't like them. She does like apples and that is about it. She doesn't like her beak dirty a little bit so she eats something wet and does nothing but wipe and wipe and then would eat anymore. I told you she was funny
lau.gif
She doesn't know she is a chicken! She thinks she is a kid/poodle. She has to be clean all the time. If she gets something on her she cleans and cleans till it is gone. Guess she's been in the house to long. She could never survive outside. She goes outside, but I have to go with her. She even goes on trips with us in the motorhome.

Are you sure she is a she?
I am pretty sure. She has a very small cone and we can't even find her waddles they are very small. We had a little roo with her for awhile, and he crowed in the morning. He also tried to mount her and she went ballistic. She wanted no part of him. We got rid of him, and she has been happy ever since. She has been raised in the house so she doesn't even act like a chicken. She even copy's the dogs when they bark. She is a very strange little girl. Very small, only about 11/2 lbs. She is very docile.
love.gif
And very lovable. She just wants you to hold her all the time if she comes out her cage.

I know the larger the breed, the longer it takes for them to lay but she's well old enuff. I've never heard of something like this. Have u taken her to the vet? Maybe she's egg bound? Good luck n maybe u have the coolest chicken/ poodle ever! Lol

Back
Top Bottom