Why Is My Chick Acting Like This?

Thank you so much! I am glad that this can be easily fixed. I agree! They are adorable! I have four Buff Orpington chicks, but I really wanted to get more, but I don't have a big enough coop. What breeds do you have?
You're welcome, glad to help. The chickies are Easter Egger and Dominique pullets and Dominique cockerels. We have an older flock of EE hens, Brown Leghorn and Black Australorp hens, and a Black Jersey Giant rooster. We've had chickens here for about ten years, and I also kept chickens many years ago in another time and place.

But what else are you feeding them? Are you giving them starter crumbles? We dont give our chicks any treats at all until they are about that old, ( 3 weeks) at least, and they they only get soft treats that are crumbled or chopped up.

And when they start eating other stuff besides chick starter, we always make sure they have free access to chick grit, and sometimes mix it with their food.

Mealworms should always only be an occasional treat, imo. Every treat we feed ours is only occasional.

Your chicks' problems do sound like a crop issue.
You're right. At this age I feed mealworms as part of the socialization process. Helps teach them to trust me and to teach them not to fear me, to know my voice, to come when called, etc.

To me it sounded like the OP was feeding them JUST mealworms.....I guess not....?
Oh, you could be right. I just assumed they were feeding mealworms as a treat, not as a sole source of nutrition. Goodness, I hope not! They need a balanced diet of chick starter crumbles.

But what else are you feeding them? Are you giving them starter crumbles? We dont give our chicks any treats at all until they are about that old, ( 3 weeks) at least, and they they only get soft treats that are crumbled or chopped up.

And when they start eating other stuff besides chick starter, we always make sure they have free access to chick grit, and sometimes mix it with their food.

Mealworms should always only be an occasional treat, imo. Every treat we feed ours is only occasional.

Your chicks' problems do sound like a crop issue.
They always have access to chick starter crumble. It's not medicated though, I don't know if that would be an issue. Mealworms are only an occasional treat for them. But I have stopped giving it to them, until I get some chick grit.

I checked their crops this morning, and it emptied out like it should. They are almost fully feathered, and they acted like they were really hot (way far from the lamp, wings spread out, and panting slightly) when their heat lamp was on, so I turned it off for a few hours. Then they acted somewhat lethargic, until I turned it back on. Are they too hot, or too cold? Their box is pretty big, and their lamp is in one corner, so they have plenty of room to avoid the heat.

3 weeks olds are fine with temps 75-80 without a lamp. At night if it gets colder, they might need a lamp but make sure they can get away from it if too cold. Are they eating and drinking? Are they hunched or puffed up, or having runny poops with mucus or any blood?

Back
Top Bottom