Why is my Chicken squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Allisonlovesnancy, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Allisonlovesnancy

Allisonlovesnancy In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    I have had my chicken for quite a few months now(she was previously owned for a few months and started laying weeks after we got her) and three months ago she started squatting at me and just recently another one of our hens starting squatting too, why are they doing this? How can I get our other two hens to do it as well?

If it helps to know, they are all laying and have been for about four months

camochick96 likes this.
  2. camochick96

camochick96 Songster

Apr 27, 2017
    North TX
    Sounds like they’re wanting a rooster. They don’t need one obviously, but they will squat for a roo to mate.

3. Wilmer Gehman

Wilmer Gehman Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    If you are with your hens alot and hold them some, they might start. Also make sure they know you are in charge. as camochick96 said above, getting a rooster would be a help i think. ( i suggest bantam)

camochick96 likes this.
  4. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    It’s just a natural hen thing as stated ...you do not need To get them a rooster unless you want to hatch chicks?
    If you just want eggs I would suggest just keeping hens...they’re perfectly happy without a husband and it’s a quieter coop
    :smack

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Getting a rooster won't "help" anything as there is nothing to "help." Squatting is a normal behavior of laying pullets/hens.

6. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    When hens squat they want to mate.
    Imnukensc, you are correct about the no need for a rooster but I think she was saying if you got a rooster the squating would stop, that is correct.

camochick96 likes this.
  7. ReseisCL16

ReseisCL16 Songster

May 17, 2014
    It's a total male dominance thing, the hens are intimidated by you and teach each other to squat. I own a little d'Uccle rooster and certain hens of mine will still squat for me, which makes catching them a breeze.

Kessel23 likes this.
  8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    No need for a rooster if you don't want/need one. If you want to encourage the squatting you can approximate a roo by watching for a squat, then rubbing their backs, just in front of the tail, until they get all puffy. If you do it regularly they'll start squatting quite often as you approach them. And yes it makes it super easy to catch them/pick them up.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  9. mortie

mortie Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    As others have said.it's just a thing they naturally do. You don't need to "get" your others to do it, you don't need to get a rooster, and you don't need to make sure they know you're in charge. Just enjoy them and the lovely eggs they lay :)

imnukensc likes this.
  10. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    I like watching the "bedfeathers shake" after doing that. Some gals make a beautiful warble sound after i pretend mate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: