Why is my Chicken squatting?

Allisonlovesnancy

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2017
I have had my chicken for quite a few months now(she was previously owned for a few months and started laying weeks after we got her) and three months ago she started squatting at me and just recently another one of our hens starting squatting too, why are they doing this? How can I get our other two hens to do it as well?

If it helps to know, they are all laying and have been for about four months

I have had my chicken for quite a few months now(she was previously owned for a few months and started laying weeks after we got her) and three months ago she started squatting at me and just recently another one of our hens starting squatting too, why are they doing this? How can I get our other two hens to do it as well?

If it helps to know, they are all laying and have been for about four months
If you are with your hens alot and hold them some, they might start. Also make sure they know you are in charge. as camochick96 said above, getting a rooster would be a help i think. ( i suggest bantam)

When hens squat they want to mate.
Imnukensc, you are correct about the no need for a rooster but I think she was saying if you got a rooster the squating would stop, that is correct.

It's a total male dominance thing, the hens are intimidated by you and teach each other to squat. I own a little d'Uccle rooster and certain hens of mine will still squat for me, which makes catching them a breeze.

No need for a rooster if you don't want/need one. If you want to encourage the squatting you can approximate a roo by watching for a squat, then rubbing their backs, just in front of the tail, until they get all puffy. If you do it regularly they'll start squatting quite often as you approach them. And yes it makes it super easy to catch them/pick them up.

As others have said.it's just a thing they naturally do. You don't need to "get" your others to do it, you don't need to get a rooster, and you don't need to make sure they know you're in charge. Just enjoy them and the lovely eggs they lay :)

No need for a rooster if you don't want/need one. If you want to encourage the squatting you can approximate a roo by watching for a squat, then rubbing their backs, just in front of the tail, until they get all puffy. If you do it regularly they'll start squatting quite often as you approach them. And yes it makes it super easy to catch them/pick them up.

I like watching the "bedfeathers shake" after doing that. Some gals make a beautiful warble sound after i pretend mate them.

Back
Top Bottom