Why is my duck eating it’s eggs?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
I went out to my ducks house this morning and their were two eggs, it’s wasn’t time to get them out yet so I left the eggs until later. When I went out an hour later and their was only one egg and my pekin had a little egg yolk on her head and chest. Does anyone know why she is eating the eggs? Is she not getting enough calcium? Or is their something else she needs? Thank you.

Ive dealt with egg eating quails and increasing calcium helped, Ive read here that increasing calcium helps ducks too, and if that doesnt help then increasing protein too

Just try increasing the calcium for now, You can get feed for egg layers and crushed oyster shell from the feed store

Goodluck with you ducks :)

I went out to my ducks house this morning and their were two eggs, it’s wasn’t time to get them out yet so I left the eggs until later. When I went out an hour later and their was only one egg and my pekin had a little egg yolk on her head and chest. Does anyone know why she is eating the eggs? Is she not getting enough calcium? Or is their something else she needs? Thank you.
Last year a lot of my hens and roosters likes to eat the eggs ( I know your talking about ducks but I’m sure it will make them stop) we put a hole in an egg and got all the egg yoke out then we put mustard in it. We gave it to our chickens and they HATED it so much, anyways they never ate the eggs again.

Last year a lot of my hens and roosters likes to eat the eggs ( I know your talking about ducks but I’m sure it will make them stop) we put a hole in an egg and got all the egg yoke out then we put mustard in it. We gave it to our chickens and they HATED it so much, anyways they never ate the eggs again.
Hahaha thats such a good and funny idea!

Could she have accidently stepped on the egg an broke it and took advantage of the free snack?

Maybe, but the next morning I looked in the window before I got them out and “Jemima” was over at the nest and it looked like she was pecking at one of the eggs but I’m not sure.

Are they getting extra calcium in oyster shell? Are you taking eggs up early. Don’t give them a chance. I had an EE that was an egg eater and I would have to be constantly on the look out for eggs, but it mainly seemed if someone laid very early those where her targets. Also what are you feeding? What’s the protein content? Eggs have protein egg shells have calcium.

Back
Top Bottom