Why is my duck obsessed with shrooms

freckledfairy

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
South Carolina
one of my girls is now crazy for mushrooms! I’m not sure how it started, but my 14week old buff duck now SCOURS the yard looking for mushrooms. We’ve been trying to keep her away from any, but she is relentless. The other ducks don’t give two quacks about the things. I’ve been able to identify a few of the types we’ve seen, but not all of them. I will go out in the garden and get rid of all of the mushrooms I can see before letting the girls in to nibble on everything.

It’s not just that Eloise comes across a shroom and thinks “oh look, a snack!”

It’s more of “LET ME OUT OF THE RUN I NEED MORE MUSHROOMS NOW!!!!!”

Has anyone ever experienced this? Have any ideas on how to deter her? TIA

one of my girls is now crazy for mushrooms! I’m not sure how it started, but my 14week old buff duck now SCOURS the yard looking for mushrooms. We’ve been trying to keep her away from any, but she is relentless. The other ducks don’t give two quacks about the things. I’ve been able to identify a few of the types we’ve seen, but not all of them. I will go out in the garden and get rid of all of the mushrooms I can see before letting the girls in to nibble on everything.

It’s not just that Eloise comes across a shroom and thinks “oh look, a snack!”

It’s more of “LET ME OUT OF THE RUN I NEED MORE MUSHROOMS NOW!!!!!”

Has anyone ever experienced this? Have any ideas on how to deter her? TIA
why do you want to deter her? why don't you trust her instincts? Google 'mushroom nutrition profile' to get some idea why this duck is eating them. Her regular diet is missing or inadequate in one or more of those nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom