Why is my Lab mix SO itchy? Help, she's hurting herself!

My pugs have had the same issue....constant itching & scratching bald spots on themselves. Could be fleas or allergies would be my guess. I've taken mine to the vet for a cortizone shot which pretty much stopped the itching immediately. The cost is about $30 and lasts for a few weeks. You'll need to find out what's causing the itching so it doesn't happen after the shot wears off.

I have a lab/english bulldog mix that the vet suggested to put down. He had skin allergies so bad his hair fell out and the skin turned thick and gray like an elephant. He was driving both me and himself insane. Steroids were not making much difference. I pulled him off all comercial dog food and starting making him food from raw meat, grain and vitamins. This was 8 or so years ago. His skin cleared up, he quit chewing his paws up and his tail. Over the years I would occasionally try a new supposedly wonder food for allergic dogs. Nope. Not till Beneful came out. I tried it and he has had no adverse reactions at all. I still have to be very viligent about fleas, one can set him off but he looks great and feels great. So far all the flavors seem to work equally well. I am glad not to have to be cutting up meat and making his food. Thank God for Beneful.
sharon

I definitely agree with changing her food. You might also try giving her some Benedryl - if it started suddenly, it will help it go away temporarily. My friend's dog was doing EXACTLY what you described and her vet gave him benedryl - went away almost immediately and never came back.

How much Benadryl should I give her? She weighs about 65-70 pounds.
smile.png
It didn't really start suddenly though, she has always itched a more than my other dog, but now it has just gotten out of control!
th.gif
I hope she gets better soon!
fl.gif

You can give her 1/2 mg/lb - so for a 70 lb. dog you can give her 35mg. You'll have to look at the box to see what size they are. Benedryl is a good short term solution, but I wouldn't plan on keeping her on it long term - just until you can figure out what the underlying cause is.

That dosage is for giving benedryl 3-4 times/day. You can give her double that (1mg/lb) twice a day. The best thing about benedryl is that it's very safe; you can give up to 2mg/lb without any worry at all.

Benadryl is good for short term relief, definitely.

We use LyTar shampoo for our dog. Not the most pleasant smell (has coal tar in it), but just once a month keeps it in check.

Ok, I just wish I knew what is making her so itchy!
hu.gif
She is scheduled to go to the vet in November for a rabies shot, I could ask them then, but that is a really long time to wait. Ugh
th.gif

I think my dog is allergic to the grass, or something outside in the summertime as well, because it only bothers her in the summer.

So what is her favorite passtime???? ROLLING IN THE GRASS
he.gif

I have to watch her for hot spots as well, especially on her tail.
I have considered taking her in for an actual allergy test, but right now there is not enough funds for non-essential vet trips.

My other dog seems to be allergic to eggs and they cause yeast infections in his ears really bad, at least that is easier to eliminate from his environment/diet.

I think Sugar might be allergic to grass as well, she seems extra itchy when she lays in it. I was talking to my mom, and she was wondering if these little bugs called...uh chiggers (or something like that) where causing her to be itchy.
hu.gif
I don't think that's it though, I notice them in more Spring and Fall. They are little tiny black bugs that land on you and bite your skin, making you very itchy, and irritated.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom