Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

@Chickenkeepr , if you don't mind, do report back what she says so I can add her thought and suggestions to my mental data bank.

-Kathy

Will do. I did find a good post on here about the treatment of gapeworms in ducks. It did say that at .10cc/lb of a 1% solution would treat them. Looks like that will be definite on the list of things to do tonight! I know this is what you said earlier @casportpony lol but I'm glad to find it proven effective against them. Have you ever done the swab test for gapeworms?

Last edited:
@casportpony I spoke with my vet and she said she has limited knowledge with birds and waterfowl but did mention gapeworms. The more I read about gapeworms, the more it sounds like this may be the culprit. I'm assuming with a throat full of worms she wouldn't be able to eat as much as she should and would lose weight because of that? I will continue the Tylan just to be on the safe side.

Will do. I did find a good post on here about the treatment of gapeworms in ducks. It did say that at .10cc/lb of a 1% solution would treat them. Looks like that will be definite on the list of things to do tonight! I know this is what you said earlier @casportpony lol but I'm glad to find it proven effective against them. Have you ever done the swab test for gapeworms?
What thread did you read?

-Kathy

Are you sure it's gapeworm? You said that she's been wormed already, and the symptoms often mimic that of pneumonia, and gapeworm in and of itself can often lead to pneumonia as a secondary infection. If you're still giving her the tylan I'm not sure I would continue. She either needs heavier prescribed antibiotics or flubendazole, or even both together.

I just saw that:
Quote:
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but gapeworms live in the trachea, *not* the esophagus, so this will not work, trust me. lol. Not sure why a vet would say that it would unless they meant sticking a q-tip in the trachea, which I would not suggest doing.

Quote: I think they are actually saying to give 0.025ml per 2.5 pounds of duck, *not* 0.1ml per pound. Then they say "Or approx. 200 micrograms per 2#'s." . The most common dose is 200 micrograms (0.2mg) per kg (2.2 pounds), which for a six pound duck is 6 / 2.2 x 0.2 / 10 = 0.054ml. The dose I suggested is was twice that amount, 400 micrograms (6 / 2.2 x 0.4 / 10 = 0.109ml)

200 micrograms = 0.2mg = 0.02 ml 1% ivermectin
400 micrograms = 0.4mg = 0.04 ml 1% ivermectin

If you do decide to give 0.1ml per pound, that's probably okay, but it is way more than anything I have seen documented. If you've ever used ivermectin paste in horses, it would be the same as giving a 1250 pound horse several tubes of paste.

Hope this helps!

-Kathy

Everyone, please check my math!

Back
Top Bottom