Why is there no poop in the coop?

CdnMaple

Chirping
Mar 1, 2022
Northern Ontario Canada
This is the second morning that I've gone into the coop, and there's no or very little poop. We have 13 chickens, and there is usually lots of poop to clean up in the mornings. But yesterday there was no poop, and today only a few poops in the corner.
We have Rhode Island Reds. Winter started with a big hit of snow a few days ago, with. Temperatures hovering around 32 degrees. Just before the snow fall, the temperatures plummeted ranging from 18F to 26F in the coop, and 2F to 25F outside.
I haven't changed anything in the coop, their food and water are the same. (except regular trips out with fresh water to replace the ice bowls)
As far as the chickens go, the only big change I've seen is their skin around the vents is dry with some raw, bloody spots. There's lots of poop in their run, and in the small area where we've cleared snow so the girls can free range.
I'm new to raising chickens, and am mystified by the missing poop. :confused:
Is this something to be concerned with?
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
CdnMaple

How soon are you getting out there in the morning?
Do they have food they can eat as soon as they come off the roost?
If you are not out there pretty much when the come off the roost, they could very well be scratching through the coop litter looking for something to eat and burying or mixing in the nightly load. Unless they have poop boards.
I would be particularly concerned about the bloody vents. That sounds like cannibalism. What are you feeding them and how much winter protected space do they have?

How soon are you getting out there in the morning?
Do they have food they can eat as soon as they come off the roost?
If you are not out there pretty much when the come off the roost, they could very well be scratching through the coop litter looking for something to eat and burying or mixing in the nightly load. Unless they have poop boards.
I would be particularly concerned about the bloody vents. That sounds like cannibalism. What are you feeding them and how much winter protected space do they have?
@DobieLover Thanks for your note - I was going out at 8am, but started going out a bit later because of the cold. There is no food in the coop which is 8x3. Their run is 8x20, covered with a tarp, with one end open. A few days ago, a quick dump of snow has left 2 feet of snow everywhere, and blew into the run. I shoveled their favourite free range area, and this morning they went out to the free range after feeding on their grain. I suspect the coop is a bit small for 13 birds when they don't want to go out into the cold and blustery snow. We're feeding them 17% protein laying mash that I get from the local feed store. Plus an afternoon treat near the end of the day - cooked oatmeal, or fruit and veggie scraps. Their feeders are filled up during the day, if and when they get low.
I'll start going out earlier in the mornings, to see if that helps them.
I'm reading up on the vent problem. I was wondering about cannibalism, but would that cause the dry skin too? Today I'll wash the vent areas of the affected birds, and put some Polysporin on the sores.
All the chickens seem to be happy and content, and not stressed when picked up to check their vents.

I suspect the coop is a bit small for 13 birds when they don't want to go out into the cold and blustery snow.
It is. If you can winterize their run better, add lots of dry material to it and get them out as soon as the sun is up so they can move about and eat, that will help them.
Their run is 8x20
Are the bottom 3/4 of the walls wrapped in tarps or shower curtains to block the wind and keep snow from blowing in?
cooked oatmeal, or fruit and veggie scraps.
I would offer a tin of sardines mixed in with this for a protein boost. And I would limit the amount of this treat to no more than 5-10% of their total food intake. The sardines (or any fish or meat) added to it will help them quite a lot.

Last edited:
I'm reading up on the vent problem. I was wondering about cannibalism, but would that cause the dry skin too?
Consider checking for lice/mites.. using a flashlight or headlamp after dark and parting abdomen feathers is the quickest and easiest way to see anything without chasing any birds.

It is. If you can winterize their run better, add lots of dry material to it and get them out as soon as the sun is up so they can move about and eat, that will help th
OK, I'll get up earlier, and get the girls going earlier. We were using dry leaves in the run, but the chickens broke that down super fast, so I'll switch to straw. We have a smaller coop(the chickens that were in that coop are now in the freezer), and have been debating moving some of the chickens to it, but decided to wait since 8 of them will be going to the abattoir in 10 days. But if the cannibalism continues, the chickens will be separated.
Are the bottom 3/4 of the walls wrapped in tarps or shower curtains to block the wind and keep snow from blowing in?
The run is covered down to about a foot from the ground, we left that open for a breeze in the warmer months. I'll be covering that area and the end wall with some heavy plastic.
I would offer a tin of sardines mixed in with this for a protein boost. And I would limit the amount of this treat to no more than 5-10% of their total food intake. The sardines (or any fish
I'll pick up some fish this week. Their treats are kept to a minimum, and are given mid afternoon.
@DobieLover thank you so much for your help.
CdnMaple

I went out to the coop early this morning. The girls were ready to come out, and yep there was lots of poop to clean up. :) Never thought I'd be glad to see poop.

Yesterday afternoon I added some olive oil to a few bowls of their food (separate from their regular feeder). The skin around the vents isn't dry and flakey this morning, and their skin is nice and pink. No bloody spots, except for one girl, which had dry blood spots, and messy feathers to clean up. but no fresh blood spots.

It rained last night, and melted a lot of the snow, so their free range area increased a lot this morning. Today's chore ... put plastic on the sides and end of their run, and prepare the other coop and run for some chickens.

Plus, I bought some fish to add into their treats this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom