Why? Is this right?

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I'm pretty confused and frustrated at this point. I don't know if I'm right or wrong on the matter, which is why I ask.
My question is about the Plymouth Rock breed.

I keep hearing people say that Barred Rocks, White Rocks, and Sapphire Gems are all different breeds. But, they are all just different color mutations/variations of the same breed: Plymouth Rocks. Right?
It's driving me insane hearing people saying that they are their own breeds :he:barnie
Why do people talk like they are different breeds? Are they the same breed, or not?

Sorry if this post offends anyone, I am just seeking answers.

Cyprus

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
I'm pretty confused and frustrated at this point. I don't know if I'm right or wrong on the matter, which is why I ask.
My question is about the Plymouth Rock breed.

I keep hearing people say that Barred Rocks, White Rocks, and Sapphire Gems are all different breeds. But, they are all just different color mutations/variations of the same breed: Plymouth Rocks. Right?
It's driving me insane hearing people saying that they are their own breeds :he:barnie
Why do people talk like they are different breeds? Are they the same breed, or not?

Sorry if this post offends anyone, I am just seeking answers.

Cyprus
Sapphire Gems are a hatchery creation, and not Rocks. But as to your other question, barred/white/whatever color Plymouth Rocks are all the same breed. The breed is Plymouth Rock. The color specifies the variety of the breed. Rocks come in many varieties - barred, white, buff, columbian, black, blue, partridge and silver pencilled. Regardless of color variety they should all have the same body type, lay the same color egg, etc.

Top Bottom