why oh why

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok I 2 black and white leghorn chickens I have been told over and over that they dont broody often why on why dose my Phonix broody again this will be the 4th time and she is not even a year old yet only 9 months old ugh and her sister Lilly is always 2 days behind her both or leghorns the first 2 times I borke them of it with in 2 days and the last time i thought maybe cuz i keep breaking there broody its not etting out there system so I let then sit in the next on the fake eggs they broke them selfs with in 2 weeks but come on 4th time im going to do my best to brake her before I leave for the weekend.

BUT CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY OH WHY DO THEY KEEP GOING INTO BROODY! [​IMG]

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I knew! [​IMG]

One of mine went broody four times last year, I finally let her hatch some eggs.
    We didn't even get to keep a chick because they were males, but now she's laying great. [​IMG]

Maybe she's trying to make up for all the eggs she didn't produce last year. [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Why do your chickens go broody? The answer is simple, bc you don't want them to. I have 4 Silkie hens (a breed known for it's broodiness, unlike your Leghorns) I've been hoping will go broody for a while now. Have they? NOPE! Why not find them each a chick to raise? Maybe that'll get them back on track. Or, you could stick them in a box and ship them to me, I've got plenty of eggs for them :lau
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by