Why so early?

Pent... Will you post picks of your slw chick roos i hatched 2 from mine first time i dont know if they are pullets or roos there 5 weeks old . got my trio as adults. thanks

Sure. I went out at night to get this one, I'll take some of the others tomorrow to show the difference, but I could find this guy by the light of a cell screen in the back of the coop. Obvious roo is obvious.

He's about 4 weeks now, but he's had that red comb and wattles for a week already. That's my hand I'm holding it with; its bent weird to keep him from moving, so you can see he's still pretty small. I have tiny stick person wrists.
There are two others I think are cocks, and one I'm pretty sure is a pullet. 3/4 boys is a somewhat unfortunate ratio... At least I have my two Am-EE girls to flush things out.

Last edited:
Sure. I went out at night to get this one, I'll take some of the others tomorrow to show the difference, but I could find this guy by the light of a cell screen in the back of the coop. Obvious roo is obvious.

He's about 4 weeks now, but he's had that red comb and wattles for a week already. That's my hand I'm holding it with; its bent weird to keep him from moving, so you can see he's still pretty small. I have tiny stick person wrists.
There are two others I think are cocks, and one I'm pretty sure is a pullet. 3/4 boys is a somewhat unfortunate ratio... At least I have my two Am-EE girls to flush things out.
Yeah that's 100% boy.

Ok, it was a challenge, as I foolishly decided picture time and feeding time should overlap... The chaos! But I did get some pics. I'd like opinions on a few of them, actually. First one is my girl (hopefully)

now the one i'm not completely sure of, but guessing boy.

Ant at last, the super boys. This is the other; the first was in my first post.

And an example of the challenges in photographing chickens during feed time.

But the plus: a probably girl and boy together.

You're pretty good at this gender thing for your first batch of chicks! I agree with you on all of them. Middle one is a bit concerning, but I have found SLW redden up quite fast. At 8 weeks mine my girls were red.

In the third picture you have a girl in there. The butt that is only half in the picture is an Easter Egger pullet.

All of your Ameraucanas are really just Easter Eggers. Just thought you should know.

All of your Ameraucanas are really just Easter Eggers. Just thought you should know.
I know, but I've taken to calling the Ameraucana because that's what they were sold to me as, and both parents were Ameraucana, rather than being a random EE mutt. They fit all the AM breed standards but color, and I'm thinking they might buff out... They do have more clear beards, but the Fermented feed is plastering the fluff down. It is easier to type EE though. I did get them from a breeder, not a hatchery, but that breeder had different color AMs together.

I know, but I've taken to calling the Ameraucana because that's what they were sold to me as, and both parents were Ameraucana, rather than being a random EE mutt. They fit all the AM breed standards but color, and I'm thinking they might buff out... They do have more clear beards, but the Fermented feed is plastering the fluff down. It is easier to type EE though. I did get them from a breeder, not a hatchery, but that breeder had different color AMs together.
Who did you get them from?

Was it Kevin by any chance?

Only one breeder in NS of quality Ameraucanas and she hardly sells any. She keeps just wheaton.

Nah, it was Amy Hill, "Snowy River Farms". I'm not complaining, they are great birds, and I had 8/12 hatch, and the four that didn't were early rejects. She maintains that they are AMs, though they are not "show quality". I tried to explain the difference, because others might not know, but it does seem silly that the breed has to be an accepted color to be considered an actual member of the breed. I do see where she's coming from.

Nah, it was Amy Hill, "Snowy River Farms". I'm not complaining, they are great birds, and I had 8/12 hatch, and the four that didn't were early rejects. She maintains that they are AMs, though they are not "show quality". I tried to explain the difference, because others might not know, but it does seem silly that the breed has to be an accepted color to be considered an actual member of the breed. I do see where she's coming from.
I looked on her website, and they are just EEs. Don't fit the AM standard.

I get where she is coming from also, but it is what it is. There is so much mixing in the breed that if they don't fit the standard and breed true 50% of the time, they are Easter Eggers.

I had pure white EEs. They had yellow soles of their feet. I even showed them. They had the type, the colour, but the feet was all it took to not qualify for the Ameraucana breed.

I do have two bantam Ameraucanas - true Ameraucanas. But I lost all my cock birds in the fire. I have two very rare hens with no boys to breed to. Really sucks!

My white EEs. I had two hens. You can see her legs are green.

She laid sky blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom