Why Won't Kitten Eat Kitten Food??

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
My kitten will not eat the Iams kitten food I have and instead seeks out and eats the reaaaallllllly expensive prescription royal canin urinary food I have for my older male cat that had surgery last year for bladder stones.. what gives?? I would think the kitten food would be more palatable as that expensive stuff doesn't seem to be enjoyed by my older cat.. but seriously any ideas to keep little dude on little dude food? He is only 11 weeks old. and absolutely ROTTEN!!!!

Get one of those cat doors that is activated by a magnet on the cat's collar.

Install the cat door in a large plastic rubbermaid/sterlite type storage box.

Magnet on older cat's collar. Prescription cat food inside storage box.

Works a charm. We did it for years when we had one cat on a special diet.

Also, I wouldn't eat Iams if I was your kitten, either. Decades ago it was a quality food. Now it's just priced as if it is.

I'm guessing you mean hard food? have you tried a different kind of kitten food like, Purina kitten? The kibbles are smaller and easier for kittens to eat. Or maybe your kitten just wants to be difficult
th.gif

Edited to add: I have 2 cats and I always have to separate them at feeding time, my 15 year old female eats slowly and my 7 year old female is a hog, she wolfs her food down and then goes after the other ones food, I also think my 15 year old female enjoys the time away from the energized youngster.

Last edited:
I would try something higher quality like Wellness or Natural Balance or something like that. I would at least try Nutro Natural Choice (not Max) over Iams and Purina and the like... I personally wouldn't feed Solid Gold cat food....my cat got horrible explosive diarrhea on that.........You feed less with the higher quality "more expensive" foods too.

Back
Top Bottom