why won't my hen let me touch her

can't touch hen.eats out of hand
:welcome Welcome!

They may willing eat out of your hand, but some hens just don't like to be touched:)
Just let her get used to you, talk to her and offer her a treat. Don't attempt to touch or grab at her. Over time, once she is comfortable with you, you may be able to reach out and touch her wing or breast with the back of your hand. Sometimes, not:confused: that's just the way it is.

:welcome Welcome!

They may willing eat out of your hand, but some hens just don't like to be touched:)
Just let her get used to you, talk to her and offer her a treat. Don't attempt to touch or grab at her. Over time, once she is comfortable with you, you may be able to reach out and touch her wing or breast with the back of your hand. Sometimes, not:confused: that's just the way it is.

X2

:welcome
Glad you joined our flock! We are sure you'll love it here, so pull up a roost!

Welcome to BYC. You’ll love it here.
:frow
I was wondering if your hen had previously let you pet her and now she won’t. If that is the case, she is probably molting. My biggest baby, Biscuit, a BO loooooves to be held and cuddled, but when she’s molting she will run from me. When a chicken molts and their pin feathers (feather shafts filled with blood) emerge, the bird is very uncomfortable. I even believe the growing back process can be very painful for some birds that molt hard.

If she is one that has never been fond of petting my advice is to just keep on keepin on. Don’t be pushy, just be available. Let her come to you. She may never, but as they say, “You can’t change a leopard’s spots.” Some birds just don’t have it in them.

Most of mine prefer to sit/perch on me rather than be held. Some will let me touch them and give them a scratch under the beak or on the wattles, or low on the neck/breast. Some just don't like much contact at all, they are all very individual. Coming in over the top of them to pick them up feels like a predator attack to a prey animal, so coming in from underneath is much less threatening to them. And even my friendliest birds will avoid contact during molt, it's just too uncomfortable to them.

Welcome to BYC. You’ll love it here.
:frow
I was wondering if your hen had previously let you pet her and now she won’t. If that is the case, she is probably molting. My biggest baby, Biscuit, a BO loooooves to be held and cuddled, but when she’s molting she will run from me. When a chicken molts and their pin feathers (feather shafts filled with blood) emerge, the bird is very uncomfortable. I even believe the growing back process can be very painful for some birds that molt hard.

If she is one that has never been fond of petting my advice is to just keep on keepin on. Don’t be pushy, just be available. Let her come to you. She may never, but as they say, “You can’t change a leopard’s spots.” Some birds just don’t have it in them.

My hens are more than happy to eat out of my hands but do not like being touched. I consider this a good thing since I'd rather they not hop into anyone's arms who comes along.

They don't like to be carried around either. Makes their eyes bug out in fear.

Back
Top Bottom