Why wont rabbit use the litter box?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone, I know a lot of you helped me in my thread about finding Aspen, and getting her settled into our house. She's been doing great! Moved her into our laundry room, and I'm hoping to work up to free roaming eventually. My only issue is that she wont use her litter box. 50% of the time she does, and she pee's in 95% of the time, but her bad potty habits are starting to get annoying. She isn't fixed yet, still need to call the vet and ask about pricing since I will be paying for ti myself. Is that the most likely issue? I know that getting them fixed is supposed to help a great deal with litter issues, but do you think theres something else I can do in the mean time?
I read this article that was supposed to give some insight on reasons rabbits might not want to use the litter box, so you think it could be any of those issues?
Her litter box has been in the same space for a while now. I did change it to a covered cat litter box to keep most of the hay inside, but that was a week or two ago. I'm using brown paper grocery store bags to lien the litter box, then placing small animal paper litter over that, than a large bunch of hay. I usually replace the hay every 2 days, and clean the litter box on these days as well. When I clean it, I remove the liner and wipe any remaining bits of litter out, then cleanse it with ACV if its still really stinky.
Any tips for litter box training? Thanks!

With ours we put the litter box in and when they pooped we would put the poop in the litter box and after a little whileof doing that (probably a few days) they just started going in the box. :idunno
I've been doing the same thing, should have included that in my post.
Of course, your supposed to pick it up right away, and I can't pick up everything over night until the morning, but I thought she would have figured it out by now. :confused:
I think I'm going to try placing another little box in a spot I see her poop a lot and see if she likes that better. If she does, I'll move the move the covered one over there.

Since she's not being consistent, I would keep the lid off the box for now. The easier you can make it for her to get in there, the better.

Since she's not being consistent, I would keep the lid off the box for now. The easier you can make it for her to get in there, the better.
Not a bad idea. I'll give that a try.
Seems like she spent most of the day in the second littler box, and there were only a few pellets on the ground when I got back. Maybe she likes that location better. :idunno
Could be the different little box to though. That one has sorter walls and no top. I'll do some experimenting.

Hello everyone, I know a lot of you helped me in my thread about finding Aspen, and getting her settled into our house. She's been doing great! Moved her into our laundry room, and I'm hoping to work up to free roaming eventually. My only issue is that she wont use her litter box. 50% of the time she does, and she pee's in 95% of the time, but her bad potty habits are starting to get annoying. She isn't fixed yet, still need to call the vet and ask about pricing since I will be paying for ti myself. Is that the most likely issue? I know that getting them fixed is supposed to help a great deal with litter issues, but do you think theres something else I can do in the mean time?
I read this article that was supposed to give some insight on reasons rabbits might not want to use the litter box, so you think it could be any of those issues?
Her litter box has been in the same space for a while now. I did change it to a covered cat litter box to keep most of the hay inside, but that was a week or two ago. I'm using brown paper grocery store bags to lien the litter box, then placing small animal paper litter over that, than a large bunch of hay. I usually replace the hay every 2 days, and clean the litter box on these days as well. When I clean it, I remove the liner and wipe any remaining bits of litter out, then cleanse it with ACV if its still really stinky.
Any tips for litter box training? Thanks!
I find that I have to put it exactly where they want to poop. My buck stopped using his, I dont know why, I changed his cage around and ever sense then he wont go in his, I have several that the litter box is in the middle of their cage, or else they will go right there. even if I move it with their poop in it.

Just a comment. I would personally never let a rabbit roam around the house unsupervised. They chew things. The first time the bunny bites into an electric cord will be the last.

Back
Top Bottom