Why won't these pests go?!

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I suppose mites are pests so I posted here.
First off I want to know if they are mites. I don't have pics since the little nasties scurry off into her jungle of feathers whenever I look. They are itty bitty. Some are orange and most are white. Sound like mites?
Her name is Bridget and she's a silkie bantam pullet. Really cute and nice. But sweet jesus I can't get rid of these monsters in her fluff. I've sprayed down the coop and run with sevin spray, let it dry, then put sevin dust, then put new shavings, placed their food and water, and put the chickens back in. I have been putting dust especially meant for chickens in her feathers for 2 weeks now. They are still there! The egg clumps in her fluff is still there! They hang around her neck, head, and chest.
I have also given her a bath with this shampoo that a worker recommended at the feed store. I didn't see them for a day then they came back the next.
The other chickens don't have buggies, I checked them and it's just Bridget.
What else can I do?

I have not dealt with this problem yet, but I use Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the run and bedding. I don't know if it is effective against such small bugs, but I have not had any bug problems at all.

I'll bet that the other chickens have them too, you just couldn't find them. I know someone here has some good advice so here is a "bump".

If you want natural, 1:40 solution of neem oil (in water), saturate the birds in it. Go get spinosad spray from your garden center and spray the entire coop and all surfaces until it gathers enough to run off. Both of those still let you call things organic and both really do work. The spinosad will keep working and killing hatched mites for several weeks.

If you want unnatural, go get ivomec injectable from your feed store, draw up in a syringe, part feathers, drop on skin. The dosage for chickens is 200-400 micrograms/kg, dosed every 10-14 days for two to three treatments in a row for depluming mites. Red mites you don't need to repeat. In the 1% injectable ivermectin (cattle ivomec) 200 micrograms/kg would be one-tenth of a ml for a ten-pound chicken; the same dose would be 400 micrograms for a 5-pound chicken. In other words, 1/10 ml is a pretty decent basic dose for a LF-chicken-sized bird but you'd want to back off for a bantam. A "drop" varies a lot so I don't like to say drop. If you did it from an eyedropper, where the typical "drop" is one-twentieth of a ml, two drops is the correct dosage for a LF.

Ivomec pour-on is the same medication at half-strength in alcohol. Double the above dose.

Treat everybody, not just the silkie.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom