Wierd Australorpe Feathers

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
Hi!

So I have a female black Australorpe and recently I've noticed some wierd white feathers around her neck and ears. Does anybody know why this is? Could it be that she is not a pure Australorpe? If this is the case, why are her feathers only turning white now?

If you have answers to any of these many questions, they are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

So I have a female black Australorpe and recently I've noticed some wierd white feathers around her neck and ears. Does anybody know why this is? Could it be that she is not a pure Australorpe? If this is the case, why are her feathers only turning white now?

If you have answers to any of these many questions, they are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Can you post pictures?

A picture would be good. Is it the entire feather that is white or just the tips? I too have Austalorps. Mine are 17 months old and beginning their first adult molt. Mine have white tips on the feathers around their face and neck which I read is the waxy part of the new feather coming in. It's kind of like when you buy a new ballpoint pen and it has the wax on the tip. (I think that's right.) Anyway, it has to do with the old feathers leaving and being replaced by new ones in my case. Have yours started to molt?

I have noticed white feathers on my chickens when....

* they are stressed (flock membership changes, I don't spend enough time with them, etc)
* when they are about to molt
* when they age
* lack of nutrition (some have come to Happy Ranch nearly white, but after getting good food, the color comes back)

Here is a pic of her white feathers.

Attachments

• 20171004_173425.jpg
    20171004_173425.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom