Wild Bird Thread!

Quote:
No, I don't. I have a lot of feeders and houses, but the Purple Martin Houses I see are always too expensive, so I've never bought one. I would like one though, that would be cool.

Yea same here, but I was thinking of building one! Here is a great site on how to make certain bird houses.

http://www.birdhouses101.com/bluebird-houses.asp

Oh, and here is a site on Tufted Titmouse houses! I love em'
big_smile.png

http://www.coveside.biz/titmouse-house-plans.htm

Quote:
To me, annoying was car alarms going off ALL NIGHT LONG, when I lived in Brooklyn New York. So here in the woods of New Hampshire, birds at my window might as well be a lullaby!
smile.png

Here we have the usual suspects, at least for this region, with an occasional oddity. We have titmice, wrens, thrushes and brown thrashers, cardinals, blue jays, eastern blue birds, rufous sided towhees, indigo buntings, downy and hairy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, sapsuckers, pine siskins, killdeer, mourning doves, sparrows galore -- song, chipping, white crowned, etc., etc., etc., ..., blackbirds, robins, grackles, starlings, red-winged blackbirds (I've only seen a yellow-winged blackbird maybe twice), once in a VERY great while I'll see a scarlet tanager (we've been here since Feb. '83 and I've only seen two), a shrike every now and then, and a blue heron who occasionally hangs out around my neighbor's pond, and a few weeks ago there were 2 Canada geese who stopped in for a short visit. We live on a fairly busy road, but we have 5 acres of pasture behind us, and a few patches of woods here & there, so there's still some habitat left for the ones who can tough things out.
hmm.png

Quote:
To me, annoying was car alarms going off ALL NIGHT LONG, when I lived in Brooklyn New York. So here in the woods of New Hampshire, birds at my window might as well be a lullaby!
smile.png

I get both at this point. This apartment has GOT to go by next year....

I've got the alarms, the sirens...the screaming and then the tufted titmouse to wake me up... I feel for the titmouse, I do. All it's trying to do is spread it's joy...

Quote:
smile.png

I've got the alarms, the sirens...the screaming and then the tufted titmouse to wake me up... I feel for the titmouse, I do. All it's trying to do is spread it's joy...

I just wanna know..what in the he&& kind of name is tufted titmouse? Where DID they get that name from...?

Last edited:
Quote:

I just wanna know..what in the he&& kind of name is tufted titmouse? Where DID they get that name from...?

Here is a link that should lead to a pic of a Tufted Titmouse: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mazhude/2353820437/

They
are called "tufted" because of their tufted feathers on their head. Where "titmouse" comes from, I have no idea! I can tell you that me and my ex boyfriend used to have a running joke where everything was tufted. He'd say, "Look, there's a Tufted Mallard duck at the feeder!" or "Hey, isn't that a Tufted Hawk in the tree?" I don't know why, but it just cracked us up. Gotta love stupid personal references.

Back
Top Bottom