Wild Birds Keeping Hawks Away?

ShiviBear

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
New Jersey
I'm curious if anybody here has encountered this strange yet wonderful (at least I think it strange) phenomenon I've been observing for the past few months on my farm.

Quick background...I am the sole caretaker of 50+ chickens on my sister's 50 acre NJ farm since May of 2020. I live in a cabin within sight/sound distance of the spacious chicken run/coop and spend a good amount of time with the girls (and 3 boys).
The farm is surrounded by a large swath of protected swamp/forest land which means there are PLENTY of predators, but I would say fox, racoon, and hawk being the main dangers for the girls.

Last year starting around May/June I had a huge hawk problem. On average, a serious hawk alarm would be raised a minimum of 3 times a week, from May till at least November. The only deterrent we use is fishing line criss crossed throughout the run, which does work, but it never stopped the hawk from trying. A hawk tried to snatch a hen while I was feeding them once, actually attempted to fly between the fishing line literally feet away from me! And if a hen left the safety of the run...BAM, she got got.
I saved one hen last year that wondered out and got snatched but must have been dropped. All of the skin on her neck was torn off...her name is now Vulture :) 20210129_120415.jpg

This year though...I have had 0, yes ZERO hawk issues. And yes, the fishing wire works, but I have at least 5 hens jumping the fence wondering all over the property with no protection at all. If this went on at this time last year, I have no doubt they would be gone.

So what changed?
Well, around April (2021) I saw a giant red tail hawk starting to approach the chicken area...the roosters started freaking out and I started running towards where I though he was orienting on, all the while screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs. (I like to scream horrible things at the feared birds, like 'Your mom didn't love you' or 'Your feathers lack luster and you smell bad' etc..)
Ah, but let me back up briefly...before approaching, the hawk was sitting in a tree across the river, watching...I remember noticing how loud all the wild birds were chattering, thinking they obviously saw him also.

So hawk launched off the tree branch, is approaching quickly and is obviously focused on the hens...when all of a sudden, all kinds wild birds start attacking the huge hawk mid air! Air bombing him, pecking at his wings, head, and body, zig zagging in front of his flight path. And it wasn't just one kind...all different species were working in tandem to chase him away.
L I noticed many swallows, but there were all kinds of birds from tiny to medium sized birds attacking this HUGE hawk, easily 40-50 times the size of some. There were at least 10 birds on him, with plenty of backups not too far behind.

I've never seen anything like it, and it really did seem to me like they were communicating amongst each other, warning each other of his(or her) approach.

Now, I know this wasn't for the benefit of my chickens, it was baby bird season...I thought surely that must be it.

But I have seen this happen many many times since that day. I haven't had one freaking hawk all summer...sometimes I'll see the birds dive bombing hawks high in the air, where all you see are little fly sized specks surrounding the majestic coasting birds. I do not know what kind of birds they are...they're too far away and too quick.
But, if a vulture flies by...nothing, no dive bombing birds in sight.

Sometimes they coordinate attacks closer to the ground, where they will actually flush the hawk out of it's tree perch and chase it out. This is the most fascinating to me as it is very clearly several bird species somehow coordinating..and what, planning? Like what?!

I now know this is called 'mobbing' and is done for several reasons...nests, breeding territory, etc...but I think in a way the birds ARE protecting my chickens. The run is a food source, there are always tiny birds hopping around picking up after the hens.

I just think this is SO fascinating. I didn't think much of birds before I got chickens, I mean, I thought they were beautiful and fascinating, but didn't wonder at their intelligence much. Now, I know they are much smarter then people think, it's just an intelligence that is hard for most humans to comprehend unless you've seen it firsthand.

I'm not sure what changed this year though...why weren't the birds protecting the territory last year?
Nothing is different this year.

I guess some things must remain a mystery, but I am SO thankful for those tiny protectors. Nowadays, if I hear my Drama Brahma rooster screaming, I no longer run to the chickens as if my pants were on fire...it's always a fallen branch or some plastic tarp flapping in the wind that makes him upset. As a matter fact, I haven't heard that coordinated unmistakable 'danger is near' call all summer.

I've tried to convey how cool this is to several friends (non chicken keepers) and it's either met with a non reaction or just disbelief..one friend even said I'm anthropomorphizing the wild birds (attributing human characteristics/intentions to them).

I hope to one day to capture this happening on my phone, but that is no easy task because it happens so fast..and usually too far to film well.

So, what do you all think? Has anybody witnessed something like this?
Does anybody have a theory of why it's been happening so regularly this year and not even once last year (and I know it didn't happen at all last year as I spent every waking minute with the chickens due to the quarantine).

But whatever the reason, I'm sure grateful to those smoll raptor friends...I make sure to leave some water out for them during hot days and will definitely be feeding them over winter again this year.

Terrific write-up. Very entertaining and informative.

Yes, this is something that developed here in my neighborhood over the recent years. I've had hawks kill chickens and even dive bomb them while standing right at my feet. What changed, and you touched on this in your thread, was I began to get serious about systematically trapping mice that were attracting rattle snakes. I disposed of the dead mice each morning on the slope behind the run.

Very soon, I had crows and ravens making daily visits to clean up the night's catch. That eventually translated into a dependable food source that would help support nestlings. From there, again you touched on this, the parent birds would be vigilant for hawks, and I began to see aerial skirmishes where two crows or ravens would chase a hawk out of the neighborhood.

Over the ensuing years, I can't say I've seen any hawks around. I chalk it up to the cooperation between species, human and avian, that has tipped the scales away from favoring the sky bullies. (Gee, I wonder if this sort of cooperation could work to curb human bullies who hate ordinary people having good things?)

As far as anthropomorphizing bird behavior, no need for that. Birds are very intelligent creatures, able to problem solve, have complex communication systems including syntax (something many humans have no skill for), and they are very good at organizing their mates to conquer bullies.

I started running towards where I though he was orienting on, all the while screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs. (I like to scream horrible things at the feared birds, like 'Your mom didn't love you' or 'Your feathers lack luster and you smell bad' etc..)
Lol, I do this too! 😂
So hawk launched off the tree branch, is approaching quickly and is obviously focused on the hens...when all of a sudden, all kinds wild birds start attacking the huge hawk mid air! Air bombing him, pecking at his wings, head, and body, zig zagging in front of his flight path. And it wasn't just one kind...all different species were working in tandem to chase him away.
L I noticed many swallows, but there were all kinds of birds from tiny to medium sized birds attacking this HUGE hawk, easily 40-50 times the size of some. There were at least 10 birds on him, with plenty of backups not too far behind.

I've never seen anything like it, and it really did seem to me like they were communicating amongst each other, warning each other of his(or her) approach.
The birds in our backyard do this too! Mostly it's the Blue Jays and Blackbirds, but all nesting birds who live in our trees attack hawks that come near! When the chicken hear the Blue Jay's cries, they take cover. Then it's just up to the Air Forces to take care of the hawk!

Utterly fascinating about the varied Species attacking the hawk. Years ago a mated pair of mississippi kites pulled several 6-week-old pullets out of wire dog cage under a shade tree. The next year Several pairs of kites built nests in oak trees all around the chicken ranging grounds. The chicken chicks were by then protected by 1/2 hardware cloth, so no more easy chick meals. But that year i saw Many kites that appeared to be of all ages chase, harass & run off the native redtail that hangs around. (And has a few times killed hens). The missippi kites have returned every year since. They migrate south in the fall, but return each spring to build their nests. Like you, i am glad to see them every year. They are too small to attack the large-fowl free-ranging hens, & the chicks are all raised in hardware cloth protected pens. While the kites are here, i can rest easy knowing the hens are safe from the redtail hawk threat.

Ive always loved watching wild song birds, & have had parrots and lovebirds in the past. Often tell people that anyone who likes birds will Love chickens. Because watching chickens is seeing bird behaviors up close and personal. Most people dont really comprehend tho, even if they like wild birds.

P.s. i think u may be seeing various bird species move in because they see your chickens, & recognize the area as a bird-friendly safe place. (Likely the same reason hawks arent afraid to attack chickens with humans nearby.) Just last week i was sitting in my front yard watching the chickens. Suddenly 2 birds landed nearby, very strange looking species i had never seen before. They looked like a cross between a duck and a goose. Several hens wandered out to see them. (Which made me a bit nervous since wild water fowl are known to carry diseases). The 2 strangers hung around for a good while, long enough for me to go inside and get phone camera, then come back outside to take pictures. The 2 unidentified birds knew i was near, but didnt seem afraid. I had no clue what they were, but took note of their striking orange bills. Googled and discovered they were black-bellied whistling ducks, apparently never before seen/identified in my county.

If you continue to observe the hawk attackers closely, maybe u can identify enough marking(s) to identify the species.
Here is photo of the black-bellied whisting ducks. Not a great photo since my phone camera is lowish pixels with no zoom, but still good enough to compare their identifying colors/markings after i researched. Please report back if/when you know more. The fact that various species worked together to drive the hawks away is amazing.

Photo below is of Black-bellied whistling ducks that landed near foraging hens. I doubt those will drive away hawks. But along with crows, ravens, kites, blue jays and mockingbirds, am interested to know what other species Will deter hawks. Those ones are valuable species to encourage to hang around!

20210729_082359.jpg

This is definitely something I’ve noticed. For me I see mostly crows/ravens, blue jays and kites chase off the hawks. My rooster and hens definitely understand the calls the crows start making when the hawks about. My area has a local red tail that’s always around and lots of visitors hawks during migration season. My chickens are entirely free range. I can’t stand having them locked up so unfortunately each group of chicks learns about hawks the hard way. I decided to let natural selection do it’s thing but I have a lab/pit mix that is a natural chicken tender rooster and a goose. Helps a lot never lost a chicken with my dog outside. I also leave dog kibble or extra eggs in places I seen the ravens so they feel appreciated and hang around my property.

Lately I've been seeing a couple of Red Tailed hawks in the mornings when I make my rounds. I put stuff out for the wild birds and of course the crows show up. They will chase the hawks but the hawks are back the next morning. We have a couple of Sand Hill cranes that come every day. A couple of days ago the cranes were really carrying on and I wondered why, then I saw the hawk, so apparently they were sounding an alarm. Good luck...

My observation has been that crows are your best hawk deterrents. Some crows started hanging around late last winter and stayed around, and I did not see one hawk kill, or even a sign of one, all spring or summer. They hate hawks with a passion, always mob them, chasing them far away. You can see them go down the river, and see other crows from other neighborhoods joining in on the chase and screaming. I recently read, too, that hawks are physically incapable of simply turning around and grabbing a bird that is chasing it. I always wondered why they never did that.

Back
Top Bottom