Wild chick? she is nuts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, Jun 8, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    ok i am typing this one handed while i try to tame this chick. i bought it this weekend and was told its an egyptian. it is insane and wild. holding it freaks it out. it just shakes. anything other than constant holding and making the poor thing shake work for calming them. is this a breed thing. its so freaked out!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Time, treats, and persistence?

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so just keep doing what I am doing. I read about the breed and they are considered flighty. I just worry because the little thing gets so upset when I feed and hold her. I don't want her so wild that I cannot check her as I need to. We will just keep up the taking turns holding her. I tried blocking out light at night which calmed it down considerably. During the day its still very frantic. I just worry for her. She seems so upset.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Does she have a brooder buddy? Maybe get her a friend or handle BOTH chicks when you take her out.

Chicken see, chicken do?

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    I've read Fayoumis are just wild, flighty birds. (assuming you do have a fayoumi here) Maybe make sure she has a dark place to go, plenty of everything she needs...and make her feel safe with you. I don't know other than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by