Wild Piglet!!

sarahr0612

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Texas
Ok so my husband and I have come across a baby wild hog. Her momma was killed by a hunter. She is about 2 weeks old & adorable. It took her 3 days to get the hang of eating, but she's got it now. She sleeps in a blanket next to me when my husband is working ( he works nights). We don't know exactly what we are going to do with her yet, we are kind of winging it. Does anyone else have experience with this? I know a few people who have pet wild hogs but keeping her will depend on her nature as she gets older. Here she is ::

Ooo...story number 2.

About two years ago my bride and my son were in Austin to watch my niece play in the 2A state golf tournament. Well I'm home alone. Months earlier I'd gotten a lab pup and sent him off to school where he was educated to genius status in the dog world. I'd just picked him up the day before, and on this night he learned that his education was not complete. As I said...home alone. I'm sitting in the recliner kicked back watching the tube in my underwear with the head of the chair resting against a large picture window. I'm in a lull and dozing off when a massive thud hits and what sounded like the scream of a thousand Comanches pouring over the rail fence behind the house! I go airborne and land in the middle of the living room with the agility of a jungle cat and peer out into the darkness to see that "Stump" the duck dog has a 25 pound pig pinned down in the flower bed against the window and that Jack the rat terrier is in hot pursuit of another across the back patio. I run for the door to get a better look at the goings on. As I step out onto the patio the may lay continues...Stump is giving this pig fits and Jack and his new friend are making laps around a big oak tree as he yaps feverishly. Well that's when the game changed. Here comes the Calvary! 150 pound momma pig and three of her minions come screaming out of the darkness like something out of Revelations...they've got hate in their hearts and fire in their eyes! Momma, with a full head of steam, hits ol' Stump in the ribs and flips him end over end and he lands with a stunned thud 10 feet away! Jack sees this and goes streaking by me heading for the barn...YIPE YIPE YIPE! Coward. Well momma never slows down after assaulting her offspring's assailant...in fact she never misses a stride and ducks her head heading in my direction. I shriek like a woman and dive headlong back into the house! She blows by the door with minions and young hot on her tail...I grab a gun and head back into the fray...because I'm no coward...I sheepishly peak around the house to see them disappearing into the moonlight. I look up and Stump is standing there in disbelief...Jack is still screaming in the barn having never been touched...he's dead to me. You don't leave your fellow soldiers in the heat of battle! Well after that little skirmish it took another hour for my heart to stop beating out of my chest...so much for a peaceful night at home. Stump doesn't mess with pigs anymore. He's a smart dog.

Awww, so cute. I would contact the state game and wild life for the rules/laws regarding wild game. You may not be allowed to keep her "legally" so proceed with caution.

Feral Pigs are not considered a "Game Animal"...treat it like any other swine. I've seen several that grow up gentle as dogs and others that get mean. I'd clip the eye teeth before she got much older. They are the teeth that protrude the older they get. You can buy teeth clippers or use a pair of dikes or wire cutters.

If you can't have her..... I will!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
ep.gif

Adorable....

Thanks for all the advice, I hadn't even though of most of it. I will look into getting her fixed if we decide to keep her. I want to know more about clipping her teeth, they are so sharp!

I'm reminded of a story. We live in the sticks and wild hogs are a real problem for us. They are devastating to crops, freshly sodded yards (guess how I know), and even flower beds up around the house. I know opinions vary but we eliminate as many as possible, they just reproduce too fast to keep up with. Well a couple of months ago my 12 year old is out in the pasture and he calls me..."I see pigs..." He says. I said to keep an eye on them and I'd come out there. I finally find him and he's full ninja hunkered down behind a tree. I whisper, "where are they?" He sneakily points and I look up and thinking they were off in the distance...there are about 40 standing 50 feet away rooting around under an oak mot. Big ones, little ones, fat ones, skinny ones, black ones, white ones...a whole mess of them. I hand him the gun and he steadies himself but misses. They scatter like mad and head for the hills. I take off after them and yell for him to join me in the pursuit. He says "WAIT! BABIES!" I said, "I know! Let's go get them!" He hollers, "NO...BABIES!" And points down and he's surrounded by a dozen cantaloupe sized piglets. I say "Grab one!!" He pounced and those little suckers exploded out of there! We take off in hot pursuit with aspirations of raising a couple of them. Those little boogers were bobbing and weaving doing that little fast grunt noise...the kid would dive and the pig would zig, then he'd lunge and the pig would zag...he's hollering and screaming and I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep up. Long story short we were out smarted and out maneuvered by week old pigs...those things are quick as lightening!

Back
Top Bottom