Will a female fan her tail?

All peacocks fan their tails. They also build their own nests. Normally they will lay an egg or two where they can be seen easily. We call these decoys. Then they will lay the rest of the eggs in a carefully hidden nest.

Some hens are really intelligent and their nest will be impossible to find. Others will be satisfied if the grass is tall enough that they can duck their head cutting off their own vision. When they start sitting they will sneak off the nest several feet and take off flying, laughing loudly to guarantee nothing is paying attention to their nest.

When they head back to the nest they will take evasive manuevers, wandering from place to place and even doubling back until they are sure they haven't been followed. Don't try to slip any other species eggs into a peahen nest. They can tell immediately and will shove them out and break them.

FoulFowl - Will a peahen create a nest if she's in a large pen with others? What do I need to supply so that she can feel she has a "safe" place? Would she go into a dog igloo, under a table or into a large pile of hay?

I don't know what kind of a 'pen' you have. Is it just a fence enclosure or does it have an attached house? Peacocks should really have a house so they can get out of the weather when they need to. They should have perches up high in the pen and also up high in the house.

If there is a house and it is big enough so all the birds can be comfortable inside at the same time then a piece of plywood leaned against one wall might tempt her. A dogloo would be more like a trap. I can't see a peacock even attempting to get in one of those.

We have had them lay decoy eggs inside the barn while their real nest was on the roof or in blackberry bushes. They really like blackberry bushes.

Our peacock house has a tarp segregating one section from the roof to the floor. The section is about 10 feet by 20 inches. The last hatch the hen set under the blackberry bushes but as soon as the chicks were out and about she brought them into the segregated section.

I know some people who have had a good hatch in a 10 foot by 10 foot hutch but it would be really nice if someone were to release their poor birds. There isn't even enough room in there for the male to display properly and they had five birds in there..And they have no outside enclosure for excercise..

Back
Top Bottom