Will a hawk eat my hens??

My suggestion if you don't have dogs or pigs or goats or any larger animals around would be like one other poster said is to let them out only in the evening when they can be watched. That's what my mother in law does. If you want them to be able to explore more than that a chicken tractor is great and can be made at home. Lots of plans for them online. If I didn't have my other animals that's what I would do. In my opinion a chicken who can explore is much happier

"Swamp Harriers hunt for birds and eggs, large insects, frogs, reptiles and small mammals up to the size of hares or rabbits. When hunting they 'quarter', which means that they systematically search for prey by gliding low to the ground or water, then drop down on to their quarry. In New Zealand, Swamp Harriers often feed on carrion (dead animals)."

I found that on birdlife.org. I think it's possible for a Swamp Harrier to kill a chicken but if they will is another question.
If your hens are savvy or you have a rooster on predator watch I think it's less likely you'll have trouble. How the harrier hunts would make it easier to spot.

I also so that in winter the harriers tend to be lazy and eat roadkill instead of trying to hunt.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/coops.12/

Mostly what I was thinking was a run like structure that is either lightweight enough for one person to move by hand or sturdy enough to be moved by tractor. That way they get fresh pasture every time it is moved.

The link I added above will take you to hundreds of coops. Mostly thinking the runs will spark your imagination.

I have had hawks try relentlessly while the hen stood no more then six inches from my foot.

Was wondering... what are pukekoes?
Pukeko__Porphyrio_porphyrio_melanotus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom