Will a screen door hold up to the chickens?

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
The door is inside a predator proof space. I just want to keep the hens on the coop side and out of the supplies side. Will a standard screen door (it was intended for a sliding glass door wall)

I bought one at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I thought I would replace the screen with hardware cloth or metal lath... whichever I ended up using for the rest of the wall. But my Better Half wants to get three more for the rest of the wall instead of using either kind of mesh.

My screen door is the people door into the run, and we left the original screening in place, just added an overlay of 2x4 welded wire. It's held up for years, and the chickens don't bother with it, and nothing's ever tore through it. *The original screening material may be that tougher pet screening, now that I think about it. In an indoor setting, I think you'd be fine with it as is.

The door is inside a predator proof space. I just want to keep the hens on the coop side and out of the supplies side. Will a standard screen door (it was intended for a sliding glass door wall)

I bought one at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I thought I would replace the screen with hardware cloth or metal lath... whichever I ended up using for the rest of the wall. But my Better Half wants to get three more for the rest of the wall instead of using either kind of mesh.
I would say yes. Definitely not enough to keep predators out but to keep chickens out of your storage area inside a predator proof space it should be fine. I have a similar set up and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom