Will black snakes harm my chickens and chicks?

Well there are at least TWO more in the yard. They must sense baby chicks.... They better watch out. I am like a HAWK on the lookout with my shovel!
rant.gif

I didn't read all the replies. First I need to say, snakes are NOT evil animals. They have their place like everything else. Depending on where you are it could be a black rat snake a black racer or possibly a kingsnake. Black rat snakes can eat chicken eggs, and sometimes chicks too. But they are more likely to go after mice and rats. Black racers feed on small mammals like mice and voles, other reptiles and even insects. I do not see them being a threat to your chicks or eggs. They are more likely to be eaten by your chickens. Kingsnakes mainly feed on other snakes and rodents. Either way, the snake is most likely attracted to the rodents, not your chickens.

Not to hijack the thread but how do you keep snakes OUT of your coop/run? I have a BILLION snakes out in the woods and pond out back. (and if you think I'm gonna kill a 6 foot snake of ANY species you're wrong, I'm gonna RUN and let them eat whatever they catch)

I have read on another thread that if you sprinkle powdered SULFER around your perimeter the snakes will not cross it. Does anyone know where to get this??

BTW- I saw 3 more snakes this afternoon, and killed another one! So 3 snakes dead....I don't want them near my chicks AT ALL! They are all black racers, I believe.

Have you tried eating them? The snakes, I mean.

I've never seen a snake here but if I ever actually have to kill one, there's not much of him that's not going to get used.

Quote:
I have a spare room and at least a billion black or rat snakes out back in the pond and surrounding area. Feel free to come stay a week and take home as many as you want.

PS there's lots of gas in the grill if you want to make yourself a meal. I'm gonna stay WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY clear of your hunting grounds tho

only large rattlers pose a problem to grown chickens in general they are big enough to eat them. special circumstances, like the broody won't move off the nest or mamma is protecting the chicks, can make other snakes dangerous i would imagine. on the other hand chicks and eggs are small. like any baby there is much more things that will eat it. most snakes will go after either of these.

This situation is kind of the circle of life thing. The snake eats the mice the disease your poultry and often Kill a chick as well. However the adult chickens see baby snakes in yard and kill and eat them. all is fair in love and war no?

Back
Top Bottom