Will deep litter method work?

TiaW

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
20170630_170204.jpg
Hi! I have a coop as shown. I use pine shavings in the laying box that I've circled. Will a deep litter method work in that area? Right now I'm cleaning it out at least once a week. I'm just looking for something lower maintenance. Thanks!

I don't know for deep litter they say you need 8-12 in worth of space to hold the litter. How deep is it. I would think
It would all fall out when you opened the door unless you can put a board against it to keep the litter in when you open the door. This is our fist time having chickens and we are doing the deep litter method. We have a removable board. Only a couple of inches worth of litter so far. Things to consider will you be able to clean it out next fall/summer and how to keep it from falling out when you open the door
Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I don't know for deep litter they say you need 8-12 in worth of space to hold the litter. How deep is it. I would think
It would all fall out when you opened the door unless you can put a board against it to keep the litter in when you open the door. This is our fist time having chickend and we are doing the deep litter method. We have a removable board. Only a couple of inches worth of litter so far. Things to consider will you be able to clean it out next fall/summer and how to keep it from falling out when you open the door
Hope this helps
The board might work. Thanks for the ideas!

I would think not, for Deep Litter to break down it needs moisture. You don't want moisture in that small, enclosed area.

You don't have a lot of space to work with so Deep Bedding will be difficult. Maybe add some Sweet PDZ to the tray to help its odor along with the pine shavings.

Little pre-fabs like yours that are short on space and lack adequate ventilation are perfect candidates for sand and PDZ. Poops are easily seen and scooped daily just like cat litter. Less than a minute of scooping each morning removes all the poop they do while on the roost at night and keeps what little space the birds do have as clean, dry and ammonia-free as possible.

Back
Top Bottom