Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes but separate the mamas at night

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No idea never had this happen before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Are they sharing one nest and all the eggs?.....If not?....They should be separated....I have two Hens setting and will be separating as soon as the Ducklings hatch...Mommas can be aggressive protecting their Ducklings.....Ducklings can be injured getting trampled by Momma trying to keep them safe....

HI, this is a good post. So, I have a khaki and a rouen sharing a nest right now...eggs expected to hatch in a few days. What will happen. Which duck will raise which duckling? Currently they work very well together caring for the nest. Just worried how it will go once ducklings hatch. What is the best thing to do? Should I intervene at all? Thanks.

I had this situation a few weeks ago with a Rouen and a Crested. They both worked great together while nesting, and continue to share mothering duties without any fuss now that the ducklings are 3 weeks old. The ducklings do not seem to have chosen a favorite and follow/snuggle which ever mother is closest. This is just my experience, your results may vary. Hopefully all will be harmonious with healthy ducklings.

I had this situation a few weeks ago with a Rouen and a Crested. They both worked great together while nesting, and continue to share mothering duties without any fuss now that the ducklings are 3 weeks old. The ducklings do not seem to have chosen a favorite and follow/snuggle which ever mother is closest. This is just my experience, your results may vary. Hopefully all will be harmonious with healthy ducklings.

Yes, yours were sharing the nest...It makes a difference ..

Are they sharing one nest and all the eggs?.....If not?....They should be separated....I have two Hens setting and will be separating as soon as the Ducklings hatch...Mommas can be aggressive protecting their Ducklings.....Ducklings can be injured getting trampled by Momma trying to keep them safe....
Yes, they are in the same nest, I don't think they have assigned eggs, they seem to always be sitting in different positions. Thanks for all of the advise!

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead but I felt I should let you guys know what happened (lost my laptop for a while ;-; ). OK! I left them in that night together and what do you know they both worked together! The cascade adopted all of the babies while the Khaki tried to pick on hers but after a month she adopted them too. It was pretty funny to watch, the babies walked in the middle while they walked on each side. The babies seemed to favor the cascade which was kinda unfortunate since she was a great protector but not a good teacher, the ones that followed the khaki more are the best gardener helpers. Anyhoo I was shocked how well the got on, they even became best friends, if one was in trouble the other ran to help (by in trouble I mean being harassed by a drake), at one point though after the babies got their first real feathers the Khaki seemed bored with the whole thing and sort of let the cascade do it alone. But she didn't want to and would follow the Khaki, it seems like the babies really benefited from having them both and only 1 baby out of the 20 was lost but I think it was just really weak. I don't think this would have worked if it was the other way around with the khaki or another flighty breed but the larger broodier ducks seem more willing to share. If someone else was to try it I would recommend putting the babies all in a crate during the night that they can't get out of while the mother ducks sort it out and then let them all out together in the morning. Its really cute seeing them waddle around together and tell the other ducks to back off when they come by. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom