• Other (please comment)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Shewholovesducks

Songster
8 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Clinton, MD
Hi I've only been keeping ducks 1 year, I have 3 khaki hens, 1 khaki drake, and 1 golden cascade hen. I was told ducks only get broody when they turn 2 but all my ducks except 1 khaki got broody hid and hatched out ducklings, each 1 week apart. The first khaki hatched 4 and I penned them in together for a full week before they went out into the yard. The other Cascades hatched next (5) and I kept her penned in 3 days before she went out, but shes so overly mothering she acted as if she wanted to steal the Khakis ducklings before changing her mind and attacking them when they got too close. She's very dominant and extremely protective over her ducklings and won't let any other animal near them, shes fine with me but no one else so the other khaki mom got pushed around quite a bit. The last khaki hatched her 14 out friday/saturday she seemed extremely overwhelmed and frequently left some of hers alone or seemed to forget they were following her. I noticed some could barely walk as they were newborn so I put about 5 of them in with the cascade since she is much more attentive and protective of her brood. I keep them all separated at night into different areas so I figured each would have time to bond and get attached to their babies. But I noticed saturday that 4 more of the Khaki's babies had left her to follow the cascade, I didn't think much of it yet by today after a lot of fighting and squawking ALL of the babies abandoned her and went with the cascade. The khaki was so upset she decided to follow the cascade and the ducklings everywhere, and the cascade seems really annoyed and wanted to shoo her off and keep all the babies. I tried to separate them again tonight but the babies all ran from their mother and dashed in with the cascade with their mother running close behind. Should I separate them? Will they be ok over night with both mothers? Is it possible for them to share the babies and learn not to fight? They both seem to have really dominating personalities, and while the cascade accepts all of the babies the khaki won't accept hers. If I do have to separate them should I try and get some of the khaki's babies to bond with her or should the cascade keep them all? I really have no idea what to do please help!

We had two chickens do the same thing. We had a rooster that mediated though, and they eventually settled down to sharing the babies.

The only danger I can see is if the fighting ducks stomp on the ducklings. If they're in definite danger separate them. If the ducks reach a new accord overnight (and they might) then let them stay together.

They're probably not going to fight at night, so you should be safe until morning in any case.

We had two chickens do the same thing. We had a rooster that mediated though, and they eventually settled down to sharing the babies.

The only danger I can see is if the fighting ducks stomp on the ducklings. If they're in definite danger separate them. If the ducks reach a new accord overnight (and they might) then let them stay together.

They're probably not going to fight at night, so you should be safe until morning in any case.
Ok they probably are in danger of that because the cascade accidentally killed 3 of hers when they first hatched, I'll go and see if I can put up a divider thank you! I hope so they weren't fighting when I locked them in but you never know thanks!

You're welcome. And I'd consider culling her from your flock, if she accidentally killed ducklings. We had one mallard that we penned because she was running her ducklings to death to get away from any perceived "threat" (hens, other ducks, a sleeping rooster) and when the ducklings accidentally got out of the pen and left her sight for a few minutes, she caught the ones that left and started killing them. Just grabbed them and broke their necks. Over-anxious mothers are as bad as neglectful ones.

HI, this is a good post. So, I have a khaki and a rouen sharing a nest right now...eggs expected to hatch in a few days. What will happen. Which duck will raise which duckling? Currently they work very well together caring for the nest. Just worried how it will go once ducklings hatch. What is the best thing to do? Should I intervene at all? Thanks.

HI, this is a good post. So, I have a khaki and a rouen sharing a nest right now...eggs expected to hatch in a few days. What will happen. Which duck will raise which duckling? Currently they work very well together caring for the nest. Just worried how it will go once ducklings hatch. What is the best thing to do? Should I intervene at all? Thanks.
Thank you, and I don't know it seems like as long as the eggs hatch around the same time both mothers will care for them. Khakis for me are kinda ditzy moms, the larger breeds seem more into parenting and protecting but it could just be my ducks. Hopefully, they don't fight like mine are right now :/, the khaki girls are all getting along but that one cascade just refuses to tolerate anyone near the babies. I hope someone with more experience comments :)

I wouldn't cull your cascade because she is being a good mama, not her fault all the others ducklings took up with her. I had 3 broody ducks last year that hatched ducklings all with in a few days of each other. I kept mama and her ducklings separated from the others for about a week. But when I let them all out the ducklings from one group would see the other ducklings and soon all the ducklings were following one mama. And she would have taken them all but being my ducks are older and 2 were first time mamas I kept giving mamas back the amount of ducklings they each started with once they went back into the house. Boy was that hard. It all went good till week 3 mama duck would not take back any duckling that wasn't blk she had bonded with those blk runner ducklings and wouldn't let the others come around or accept them so now I am getting all same color for her. I won't do this again way to stressful for me and those poor mamas trying to keep their ducklings with her. So moral of the story is unless you can keep mama and babies separated but where everyone can still see each other only let one duck go broody at a time. It maybe to late for khaki mama to get her duckling back if they have imprinted on the other ducklings and the cascade. Only way you can tell is to pen khaki up with her original ones and see what happens.

@Juliesan if they started together they may be okay raising their ducklings together. Best thing you can do is be close by when hatching begins so you can observe.
I have had chickens share chicks before, they brooded together and shared their chicks. It was very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom