will eggs get bigger as hens get older?

l'abeille

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Berkeley, CA
My BA has been laying for a couple of weeks now. She's laid 11 eggs. They are all small to medium sized. The breed is supposed to lay large eggs. Will egg size increase later?

They will get bigger as time goes on.
smile.png
Mine have all done that, with weak shells and kind of small at first. Boil those and feed them back to the chooks.
big_smile.png

Very interesting. I have the same situation going on. Roughly how long does it take for the size to increase? Are we talking weeks or months?

Thanks!

my BO's still lay small pullet eggs even after months. my isa browns started right out with large to jumbo eggs and still are going strong.

If shes a bantam her eggs will stay small if not then you have just got a hen that lays small eggs

My chickens are 9 months old and their eggs are a bit bigger than when they started laying, but still not grocery store egg size. It's my understanding that the eggs get bigger after their first molt. I have 2 molting now, but they haven't started laying since they started their molt.

On the plus side, while they may not be as big as grocery store eggs, they taste LOADS better!

Back
Top Bottom