will eggs get bigger as hens get older?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by l'abeille, Dec 15, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    My BA has been laying for a couple of weeks now. She's laid 11 eggs. They are all small to medium sized. The breed is supposed to lay large eggs. Will egg size increase later?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yes. Some of mine got to large size in a week or so and some took longer, but they all got bigger.

1 person likes this.
  3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Yes. Even when the egg production begins to decline, the eggs the hens do lay larger eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They will get bigger as time goes on. [​IMG] Mine have all done that, with weak shells and kind of small at first. Boil those and feed them back to the chooks. [​IMG]

5. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    All of mine have got larger with time. I did have one lay an egg without a shell, just the membrane and yoke. I thought that was very weird.

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Very interesting. I have the same situation going on. Roughly how long does it take for the size to increase? Are we talking weeks or months?

Thanks!

7. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    my BO's still lay small pullet eggs even after months. my isa browns started right out with large to jumbo eggs and still are going strong.

8. TDB

TDB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    If shes a bantam her eggs will stay small if not then you have just got a hen that lays small eggs

9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Lord I hope they get bigger as they grow, here's one that one of my Minorca's layed

[​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My chickens are 9 months old and their eggs are a bit bigger than when they started laying, but still not grocery store egg size. It's my understanding that the eggs get bigger after their first molt. I have 2 molting now, but they haven't started laying since they started their molt.

On the plus side, while they may not be as big as grocery store eggs, they taste LOADS better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by