Will hybrid layer and ancona ducks fly/jump over a 4 foot chain link fence?

Viking84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
They will spend most of their time in a coop/run, but I will be letting the ducks out for a few hours a day to free range in the 1.5 acre yard. It is enclosed by a standard 4 foot high chain link fence. On one side is the neighbor with 2 chicken killing dogs that would gladly kill a duck that jumped into their yard. The other side is a 60 acre lake, in which I am sure the ducks would consider a better home than a coop inside a 1.5 acre yard and would never return. Will they be able to jump/fly over a standard 4 foot chain link fence? Or should I get a fatter breed such as Jumbo Pekin?

Clipping their wings is what I would suggest. Better safe than sorry.
Over the summer I had to put my KC drake in jail because he was terrorizing the rest of my flock. Few minutes later I look out and he's escaped!! He's a plump, handsome man so I decided to put him back in jail and find out how in the world he escaped. After taking a running start, he easily cleared the 5 foot fencing that was around the drake jail 😯 I was shocked to say the least!!

Clipping their wings is what I would suggest. Better safe than sorry.
Over the summer I had to put my KC drake in jail because he was terrorizing the rest of my flock. Few minutes later I look out and he's escaped!! He's a plump, handsome man so I decided to put him back in jail and find out how in the world he escaped. After taking a running start, he easily cleared the 5 foot fencing that was around the drake jail 😯 I was shocked to say the least!!
Well that's a Drake thing. They can climb also if hormones are driving them mad!

Back
Top Bottom