Will I get eggs or dinner!?

mickie1989

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2015

I have photographed my welsummer chick. I got about 6 weeks ago but I don't know how old she/he is! I also don't know if it's a hen or a cockerel! I can't keep a cockerel so I'm really hoping for a girlie! Can you help!?

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
By the looks like it you don't have a Welsummer but may be a mixed breed. I'm unsure of the sex though it may be to young to tell for sure, could you get a better picture of it standing and of the whole body (including tail).

Last edited:
It looks like a cockerel to me. Pullets don't get their big, red combs until they are about to lay. That chick looks too young to be about to lay, if it were a pullet, so I'm going with cockerel.

Are these any better? It's a skittish little thing so it's difficult to get a good photo! Also any ideas on the one in the background? It's supposed to be a speckled Sussex and female but I'm not convinced!

Sorry to sound a bit thick, this is my first chicken... What are saddle feathers..?

Chicken Girl was referring to male saddle feathers. They don't start developing until about 10 weeks old, and usually aren't visible until after 12 weeks old. They are the long, thin feathers near the base of a rooster's tail. Your chick is a cockerel because he has a big, red comb for his age; dark red feathering on his shoulders and wing; and black feathering on his chest.

Chicken Girl was referring to male saddle feathers. They don't start developing until about 10 weeks old, and usually aren't visible until after 12 weeks old. They are the long, thin feathers near the base of a rooster's tail. Your chick is a cockerel because he has a big, red comb for his age; dark red feathering on his shoulders and wing; and black feathering on his chest.
X 2. No need to wait for saddle feathers, that chick is definitely male.

Thanks guys, seems pretty unanimous. Sad though. Means he has to go. Not sure about the other one either. She's supposed to be a speckled Sussex but I don't think she is! She's the same age as this one but a lot smaller and feathers are completely different so hopefully she's a girl! Will have to see about getting another one for company. Does anyone have opinions on point of lay hens? So I know what I'm getting..?

Back
Top Bottom