Will medicated feed hurt chicks vaccinated for Cocci?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Winter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I had my chicks vaccinated for Cocci at the hatchery. I brought them home yesterday only to find to my horror that I CAN NOT buy non-medicated feed here.
    Help. I gave them some %16 pullet feed for the night just to get them started but I know they need more like %20 chick starter.
    What can I do? Medicated chick starter or non-medicated grower seem to be my only feed options....
    I know feeding the started will nullify the vaccine, but will it hurt them.
    I am at a loss.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i had the same problem and i fed mine the medicated starter and they are all oky , 5 weeks old now.
    [​IMG]:cd:cd

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You need to find non-medicated if your chicks were vaccinated. Hit the phones, or maybe someone in your area will see this.

4. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    It does not exist. I have driven to/called every feed store in a huge radius. No one here has even heard of non-medicated.

5. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    OMG, I just found a store in a town somewhat nearby that carries it. Of course like every other store it is open until 6 which means I cant' get there. I don't understand store hours, if you have a job you presumably have money to spend, yet you can't spend it because stores are only open when you are at work!
    Grrr.
    I could maybe get there Thursday, can the chicks go that long on the %16 grower???

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Ask for Game Bird Starter. It will work fine. Both Nutrena
    and Blue Seal have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by