Will My Hen Survive?? Soft Eggs, Impacted Crop....

Hello everyone,

My Rosie was helped 2 weeks ago...You can read about it by clicking --> here

My Rosie was fine laying and an empty crop, up until Saturday morning.... That morning she had an impacted crop and was acting slow.
So, I automatically restricted her free ranging, gave her olive oil, and some electrolytes. I massaged her crop throughout the day and gave her olive oil/electrolytes multiple times.

Soon after that, she had two soft eggs and was acting better.

Sunday, her crop was very small and she was acting fine.

I copied what I did when her crop was impacted.....Gave her some more electrolytes and olive oil, and some acv it helped last time.

Later that day she started to act sluggish.......

Today she is acting even more sluggish, to the point where I think she might not make it past saturday.......

What is going on with her??

Also, I have noticed over the past few weeks 2-3 poops from Rosie with tape worms in it. I have been giving her some dewormer.........

Please help!! I don't want to lose her...

Hi, how is she doing today? The tapeworms will definitely slowly suck the life out of her, what type of dewormer did you give her? The soft shell eggs are usually from a lack of calcium too, but the tapeworm is most likely affecting her nutrient absorption as well.

I'm not sure where you are located, but you can try giving her some Nutri-Drench (Link to Tractor Supply Nutri Drench) or a scrambled egg mixed with some Nutri-Drench (or something similar) to get some nutrients in her.

Thanks for you concern.
She has been acting more tired than her usual self (like 85% of her normal self) but today I let her out to free range and she ran, scratched consistently, ate bugs, and a bit of clover. She walked when I called (which is unusual for her) but she is more responsive than yesterday.

All day, she has been perching and napping unlike yesterday when she stood out in the rain fluffed up.

So, overall she seems better.

For the past two days I have been giving her pedialyte, olive oil, and calcium tums.....Also have been checking her vent inside and out.

Her latest poops have been small dark, dark green and/or blackish, along with some white liquid stuff. I know that there is something going on with her vent, causing her not to defecate correctly....

She has had only 2 tapeworm poops over the past month, so I’ve been treating her with Fendbenazole Equine Paste Dewormer on and off.

I was just deciding whether or not to give her some penicillin from Tractor Supply.....

Thanks for you concern.
She has been acting more tired than her usual self (like 85% of her normal self) but today I let her out to free range and she ran, scratched consistently, ate bugs, and a bit of clover. She walked when I called (which is unusual for her) but she is more responsive than yesterday.

All day, she has been perching and napping unlike yesterday when she stood out in the rain fluffed up.

So, overall she seems better.

For the past two days I have been giving her pedialyte, olive oil, and calcium tums.....Also have been checking her vent inside and out.

Her latest poops have been small dark, dark green and/or blackish, along with some white liquid stuff. I know that there is something going on with her vent, causing her not to defecate correctly....

She has had only 2 tapeworm poops over the past month, so I’ve been treating her with Fendbenazole Equine Paste Dewormer on and off.

I was just deciding whether or not to give her some penicillin from Tractor Supply.....
Hm, ok, it sounds like she is doing much better today! Can you post a picture of a fresh poop? If she is having irritation around her vent, I've used melted coconut oil around my hens' vents before to protect the skin and provide some extra lubrication. I'd also try and give her some actual food, like a scrambled egg or oatmeal mixed with some of her feed to get more nutrition in her. You might already be feeding her more than just Pedialyte, olive oil, and tums, but I wasn't sure.

I’ll try to get a picture....It might be a little while though, since I cleaned up the coop a little bit a ago 😅

She’s been eating her crumble feed (not a ton though), along with the tums, pedialyte, and olive oil. I might try giving her some scrambled eggs mixed with her feed though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Her vent looks alright to me...It’s pinkish, whiteish, reddish...? Maybe I should attach a picture?

Do you think I should give her penicillin, just in case she has an infection from her soft eggs?

I am a little hesitant to give her the medicine...Since she got better last time without anything but olive oil, pedialyte, tums, and her feed.

Sometimes I try to let the chicken’s body rebalance it’s self, unless it is an extreme case.

I’ll try to get a picture....It might be a little while though, since I cleaned up the coop a little bit a ago 😅

She’s been eating her crumble feed (not a ton though), along with the tums, pedialyte, and olive oil. I might try giving her some scrambled eggs mixed with her feed though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Her vent looks alright to me...It’s pinkish, whiteish, reddish...? Maybe I should attach a picture?

Do you think I should give her penicillin, just in case she has an infection from her soft eggs?

I am a little hesitant to give her the medicine...Since she got better last time without anything but olive oil, pedialyte, tums, and her feed.

Sometimes I try to let the chicken’s body rebalance it’s self, unless it is an extreme case.
That's good she's eating, even if it's just a little bit. When my hens are sick, they usually will eat a scrambled egg or cooked oatmeal. I know they are REALLY sick if they don't eat either of those! You can also try and mix in some Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster with the egg/oatmeal.

Vents are usually pinkish. You can attach a picture if you want, just as a reference. If her vent looks a bit irritated from her poop or something else, you can lubricate her vent with some melted coconut oil or Vaseline.

I would dose with penicillin if you think the soft shell eggs broke inside her, otherwise, I would not dose and would keep an eye on her.

Are you offering them free choice oyster shell and grit? Try and ween her off the Tums, sometimes chickens can have a bad reaction to Tums if given over multiple days. Oyster shell and nutritionally balanced feed should give them all the calcium they need to make strong shells.

Thanks for all your help😍

I’m going to try to get picture of her feces, soon.

Im going to keep giving her pedialyte for electrolytes and olive oil, and stop giving her tums.

I’m not going to dose her with penicillin since she seems better. But, if she gets worse tomorrow, I’ll definitely give her some penicillin.

My chickens have grit and oyster shell 24/7 along with a calcium infused 16% crumble feed from Dumor.

Back
Top Bottom