Will my muscoveies ever stop being a-holes?

Miss Lydia

My Best Bud
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
My Muscovy Buffs and Runners do fine together they mostly hang in their own group but I do have one female Muscovy who likes to hang out with the Runners an Buffs she is miss congeniality she is liked by both groups even the geese like her (tolerate her) like might be a stretch, and they don’t like the other Muscovy. My female Muscovy scrap among themselves. They do like a good cat fight. But just since molt began with my scovy they have been really temperamental.

Last edited:

Going Quackers

Crowing
8 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
My Muscovy Buffs and Runners do fine together they mostly hang in their own group but I do have one female Muscovy who likes to hang out with the Runners an Buffs she is miss congeniality she is liked by both groups even the geese like her (tolerate her) like might be a stretch, and they don’t like the other Muscovy. My female Muscovy scrap among themselves. They do like a good cat fight. But just since molt began with my scovy they have been really temperamental.
Oh the females can be something else, mine broke down into what i would refer to as "sub groups" within the main flock.

My now drake only flock can be very entertaining. It mainly occurs in the warmer weather however, it happens often enough even my 3yo grandson will shout eh! no stop fighting. :lol:

Mybackyardpeepers

Free Ranging
Mar 22, 2019
Michigan
I had a lone Khaki duck after having to surrender my SN Pekin. I got him two baby muscovys to which he took to fast. They are younger and bigger than him already, but all get along like they were raised together. The Muscovy do pick on my big girls (chickens) a little but I wouldn't call them being jerks to them. I guess like suggested get your loaner a friend of his own breed see if that help. Best of luck!

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
So we were outside all day together with everyone finishing their enclosure. Today it appeared that our female Muscovy is the one who has the biggest issues with Shadow. Our male and Shadow were down in the creek for most of the day together foraging and swimming without any issues AT ALL! The male does go after her sometimes (like my husband said that he tried to drown her the other day in the creek) but I think it’s mainly our female who has an issue with her and when the two are together the male follows is mates lead of bullying Shadow.

Our mallard/Rouen mystery is solved! She’s missing one of her back toes which means MALLARD! Right?! We would love to get her some friends of her own breed but it’s about to be the dead of winter here and our WH are just moving outside from the brooder. We are done with brooder babies for the winter until Spring but will definitely be looking into getting her some mallard friends in the Spring.

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
Muscovy females can be a handful at times as your seeing, I have had to put a few of mine in solitary confinement because they were not being nice to their sisters. Just make sure they don’t stress your little Mallard out so much she takes off flying.

She does try to fly away, and she’s flown into the bird netting quite a few times since we put it up on Saturday. I think she’s learned her lesson now. Should we put our Muscovy in the coop or keep our mallard in the coop for her own safety? I’m not sure what to do because our male Muscovy has just began trying to mate and I’m also a tad worried about them being in a confined area because she won’t be able to just fly away if she wants nothing to do with it. (Talking about my female Muscovy) and I’m not sure if he would try to mate with Shadow because she is sooooo tiny compared to him and she’s only 16 weeks old!

Miss Lydia

My Best Bud
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
She does try to fly away, and she’s flown into the bird netting quite a few times since we put it up on Saturday. I think she’s learned her lesson now. Should we put our Muscovy in the coop or keep our mallard in the coop for her own safety? I’m not sure what to do because our male Muscovy has just began trying to mate and I’m also a tad worried about them being in a confined area because she won’t be able to just fly away if she wants nothing to do with it. (Talking about my female Muscovy) and I’m not sure if he would try to mate with Shadow because she is sooooo tiny compared to him and she’s only 16 weeks old!
Any way you can split your run so your Mallard doesn’t have to be harassed when you can’t supervise? Where are you going to put your WH? When they go outside?

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
Any way you can split your run so your Mallard doesn’t have to be harassed when you can’t supervise? Where are you going to put your WH? When they go outside?
Yeah, I guess we could try that. We’re just hoping they can eventually get along. It’s a short week this week, we’re going to let them out tomorrow and see how it goes. It’s a pretty large enclosure so everyone has plenty of space if they need to get away. Our female Muscovy just follows shadow sometimes (which is why I called them aholes lol.) because she will follow her and then nip at her sometimes getting a hold of her. Then other times she’s totally fine being around her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom