Will my pullets start laying soon?

Sep 10, 2022
I have 3 19 week old Easter egger pullets. I’ve heard the daylight and winter can affect laying habits. Will my EE’s start laying soon or will they likely wait until the days get longer to begin laying?

Attachments

• AD277705-D50F-4089-B4D9-CD1F9C20D3C9.jpeg
    AD277705-D50F-4089-B4D9-CD1F9C20D3C9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • A5AD712C-DDC6-49DD-A545-1069BC6614C0.jpeg
    A5AD712C-DDC6-49DD-A545-1069BC6614C0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 19588491-598B-4941-870B-E5B71D887D98.jpeg
    19588491-598B-4941-870B-E5B71D887D98.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Welcome to BYC!! Your birds are very pretty. Their combs and wattles are pinking up. Look for a somewhat sudden flushing and growth of both, then you can prob say within a couple of weeks of that.
Where are you located regionally? Daylight hours matter most.

Welcome to BYC!! Your birds are very pretty. Their combs and wattles are pinking up. Look for a somewhat sudden flushing and growth of both, then you can prob say within a couple of weeks of that.
We are in the the PNW so it doesn’t get light until 8am and is pitch black by 6:30 😬

Thank you 😊 they are so sweet. I would never have imagined I could get so attached to chickens, but they have proved me wrong by a long shot!

Thank you 😊 they are so sweet. I would never have imagined I could get so attached to chickens, but they have proved me wrong by a long shot!
Yes, indeed. My chickens follow me like dogs. Only a few tolerate petting though.
I just got a pullet egg today, small 36 g. My youngest birds are 18 wks, two Lemon cuckoo Niederrhieners and one Bielefelder. None of the adults laid that early tho…makes me wonder who laid it.
Good luck and Please post a pic of your first egg.

I've had EE's start to lay the first week of December when day length was about 10 hours long. About as short as they were going to get. Yours are probably longer than that right now but are rapidly getting shorter. Those were a little older than yours are now but I've had other EE's start to lay at that age.

There is no telling when yours will start to lay. It could be real soon, it could be quite a while. Yes, it is frustrating, most of us have been there. But it will happen.

I really thought my one and only EE, appropriately named Karen, reached POL too late in season. She laid a few sporadic eggs then nothing. I lived in denial about a secret nest until I found this…
8ED35D13-663F-49D1-8A1D-B7517A689401.jpeg

By far my EE is the most crafty bird in my flock. I would love a couple more EE in the future; they seem so spunky

Yes, indeed. My chickens follow me like dogs. Only a few tolerate petting though.
I just got a pullet egg today, small 36 g. My youngest birds are 18 wks, two Lemon cuckoo Niederrhieners and one Bielefelder. None of the adults laid that early tho…makes me wonder who laid it.
Good luck and Please post a pic of your first egg.
Congrats on the pullet egg! So exciting!

I really thought my one and only EE, appropriately named Karen, reached POL too late in season. She laid a few sporadic eggs then nothing. I lived in denial about a secret nest until I found this…View attachment 3300649
By far my EE is the most crafty bird in my flock. I would love a couple more EE in the future; they seem so spunky
Oh my goodness! That is quite a stash she had going!!!

Back
Top Bottom