will one chicken be lonely?

marianne5

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Hi all
Looking for some advice, we are fairly.new chicken owners and bought 3 hybrids in December. We unfortunately lost one last month and now a second has gone broody.
We have taken advice and segregated her to try to break the brooding but my concern is for my 3rd lady.. She is now left alone in the coop for the next few days and I'm worried she will be lonely?
She is a very friendly lady and we try to Spend a few hours outside with her at dinner time but I know they are flock animals and my worry is she will be a bit lost the next few days.. We are planning on getting more birds very soon but for the next few days at least / ubtil we break the other one should I be worried about my lady on her own? Feel so guilty!
Any advice appreciated :)

No, because she is in a trance-like stance, she probably won't notice her missing friend. Actually, she'll like the peace to brood her "chicks" :)

Hey there.. Ah sorry I have maybe not written that Wel, I'm not worried about the brooding lady, as u day she is in a trance-like state, but my last chicken is now left outside in the coop on her own it's her I'm concerned about now Thy she has lost both her friends?

Not as yet we only just removed the broody tonight thought as she wouldn't leave the nesting box today :/
So hard to know what to do.for the best!
Will maybe see how she is tomorrow, feel so bad leaving her on her own

I have five hens in one coop, so I've never had a problem when separating a broody. Just some helpful advice from a fellow chicken lover. :)

Thanks :) we are in the processing of building a.very large run and then intend to get 4 or 5 more ladies within the next mknth.. Very bad timing my lady going broody before we got some comrades in to keep the other company! Hopefully will all work out :)

Just an update.. We ended up purchasing a large broody buster cage but the night we came home with it our wee Betty was free ranging all by herself
without prompt from coop, n had de-fluffed herself ha ha typical! We decided to hold off on putting her in jail as she seemed happy enough.
We also took your advice and bought 3 new ladies however my older two were not at all impressed and bullied the life out the little.ladies! Pecking I expected but they were literally standing on them and pecking their heads! we took this to be excessive and separated them yday into two separate coops but they can see each other.. Hopefully in time they will all be friends!

Oh and looks like our broody Betty tried to lay again for the first time but we got a shell-less egg lol
A mixture of stress of the newcomers and learning again we think?!

Who knew keeping chickens would be so full of drama ha ha every day is a learning day with my crazy girls lol

Anyways thanks for.your advice, hopefully all my ladies are on their way to being happy again lol :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom