Will rinsing my chicks' eyes with saline help clear their sinuses?

GoldiLaced

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Colorado
I heard recently that putting some saline solution on/in their eyes can help clear their sinuses. Is this true? And are there any other ways I can help them breathe better?

Sounds like they have a respiratory issue ... Pictures of the chicks & set up would help.
What are their symptoms that you want to treat with saline?
Runny eyes and/or breathing problems? Others?
How old are your chicks?
If they're in a brooder, what are you using for bedding?
If they are in a brooder, what are you doing for heat?
Breathing problems is the focus of it right now. They're breathing can get really nasally, sometimes faster than normal.
They are around a month old, a little more or less.
They're in a cage with pine (medium) shavings, always clean water, some medicated chick starter, and a stuffed animal. They have a heat lamp just above it, they seem fine with the temperature, they sleep wherever they want.

I DO know a medication I plan to give them and has helped another chick, but I just want to know if it can help ease them while I wait. (Sorry if the pictures aren't good)

Attachments

• bjgsf2.jpg
    bjgsf2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 10
  • bjgsf1.jpg
    bjgsf1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 10
What is the temperature under their heat lamp? At 4 weeks old they only need about 75 degrees in the warmest part of the brooder, and a cooler spot to escape to. At 5 weeks it should be only 70. Dust in feed or the bedding, ammonia odor from droppings, or mold from spilled water can all cause breathing problems. Check nostrils for any blockage from feed or nasal drainage. If they have sneezing they may have a respiratory disease. Some sneezing from dust is normal.

Breathing problems is the focus of it right now. They're breathing can get really nasally, sometimes faster than normal.
I heard recently that putting some saline solution on/in their eyes can help clear their sinuses. Is this true? And are there any other ways I can help them breathe better?
They're in a cage with pine (medium) shavings, always clean water, some medicated chick starter, and a stuffed animal. They have a heat lamp just above it, they seem fine with the temperature, they sleep wherever they want.
I DO know a medication I plan to give them and has helped another chick, but I just want to know if it can help ease them while I wait.
Where are they located?
How much ventilation does your brooder have?
Do you see mucous or watery eyes?
What are your temperatures?
Change out your bedding and give them more fresh air, see if that improves the nasally breathing.

What medication would you give them or are planning on giving them?

In the first picture, looks like you have shavings on the flooring, yet in the second picture I see wire flooring. Do you have shavings under/on the wire? If so, as Wyorp Rock suggested, removing the shaving. You can line the pan with paper towels since it looks like the "floor" that they're on is wire.

Back
Top Bottom