Will sand harm coop-aged chicks?

Yes! Read the same… then someone in store said the TAN is better vs white playsand… if you can send me picture of your bag or remember the name. I’d be very grateful.., I’ll try and search some more! Thank you for the info!
Yay or nay? From my daughter in law for the baby’s sandbox 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• ECEEDF79-1D8D-4620-825B-1AD6BE631474.jpeg
    ECEEDF79-1D8D-4620-825B-1AD6BE631474.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 4
if you can send me picture of your bag
Here you go! The brand is Mastercraft. Honestly, I don't know if it is the best stuff but I haven't had problems so far. I tried finding washed construction sand but couldn't seem to find it.
20210619_213823.jpg

Yay or nay? From my daughter in law for the baby’s sandbox 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe it would be okay respiratory wise with "no free" quartz and silica... I'm not quite sure what means honestly but I think I have an idea.

Something else that I read about play sand is that because it is so easily moldable, it causes crop problems. I've read this is mostly common in chicks, but some things I read mentioned it in adults, so I don't know how much of a problem it really is with adults. I don't think my chickens really eat their sand, at least not enough that it would cause crop problems if I were using play sand. 🤷🏼‍♀️ If all your chickens are adults you can try that stuff and just monitor them closely for a while.

Attachments

• 20210619_213845.jpg
    20210619_213845.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 3
I forget what brand it is but I think it is all purpose construction sand-in-a-tube. When making the decision of what sand I should use, I found that play sand is not safe for chickens. Apperently it is really fine and dusty, and the quartz that's in the dust hurts them. So it sounds like playsand either has a lot of silica or a lot of airborne silica. From what I read, I wouldn't use it.

I hope this helps! I think we may still have some of that sand somewhere. I'll try to find out the brand of it.
I found the sand in tube, Ace Hardware…it was also Quickcrete..

Back
Top Bottom