Will the Peahen get over the lose of chicks.

PhilMitch

Songster
Jul 4, 2017
Long story short. Moved into a house with Peafowl. One Peacock and two Peahens, both had two chicks in 2015 (one male and three female). Now two of those Peahens have laid. One is still sitting on them the other hatched about 7-9 days ago. Both peachicks were doing well.

Now yesterday i couldn't find her, she normally comes when you call here. Then i heard her make the sound that she normally makes when she wants food. So i went to her but her peachicks have been run over by the neighbors. I shall give them the benefit of the doubt though they have told us they have destroyed eggs before and they don't like Peafowl.

So my question is will she get over this. I just went to check on her and she is still at the spot where they passed on. I took them away and buried them, hope that was the correct thing to do.

I am sorry that happened to the poor birds. Maybe you could construct an enclosure to keep the mothers with young in. I would think that she will get over the loss, and if you just left them there something would probably eat the dead babies.

They are just feral peafowl and have done fine with out human interference. And because the two peahens before successfully raised two chicks each should i just look at this as an accident.

The image roughly shows the land. The highlighted yellow is our land and the purple there land though they don't seem to use it. The house that's not highlighted is a 15th century building that no one lives in.

The red dot is where she laid, they blue dot is where they was unfortunately ran over/still standing and the green dot is where the other peahen is currently laying.

I just hope he doesn't run over her as like i said before they don't like peafowl.
I shall post a update later to say how she is doing.

EDIT: They most likely like you said would've been eaten anyway. I have seen many feet left of on the dry stone walls. We have tawny, barn (which we saved two) and little owls, buzzards and kestrels.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1139.jpg
    DSC_1139.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Just a update, she came for some food then ran back to the spot as of this evening.

Tomorrow morning will be about 48 hours of her going back. I just hope she gets over the loss as it's sad to watch.

Last update, she has finally given up waiting and calling for them.

Will she lay more eggs this year or will she wait for next year?

I still have some hens laying so there is a possibility. Just don't count on it.

I can only hope. At least the other peahen is laying on our side (only two eggs). So there is no risk of them being run over. I shall post some pics as soon as i see the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom