Will their chicks be sexlinked? Will they be sexlinked by skin color?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I have a cuckoo silkie hen with light skin and a dominant white silkie roo with dark skin.

I know that cuckoo female x non-cuckoo male results in non-cuckoo females and cuckoo males. That would be fine if I bred my hen to a black rooster. But I only have a dominant white rooster. I'm wondering since silkie roo x hen with light skin results in chicks sexlinked by skin color - females have dark skin, males have light skin - would my silkie rooster x light skinned silkie hen result in the same thing?

Would those chicks be sexlinked both by feather color and skin color (females - dark skin, not cuckoo and males - light skin, cuckoo)?

It's worth noting that dominant white often fades the skin color especially right at hatch, so give them a couple weeks if it looks like you have all males based on their skin color at hatch.

These are two skin color sexlinks I hatched out of a dominant white Silkie male crossed to a Cochin bantam female. You can see there's a tinge of color to the skin on the female (purple leg band), but it was not very apparent in person and I didn't realize she was a pullet until much later.

Green band SiCo mix.jpg
Purple band SiCo mix.jpg

A few weeks later, the skin color difference was more apparent (but they were also quite fluffy, so their feet don't show much in their pictures, sorry about that!) :

Rosey.jpg
Gluttony.jpg

It's worth noting that dominant white often fades the skin color especially right at hatch, so give them a couple weeks if it looks like you have all males based on their skin color at hatch.

These are two skin color sexlinks I hatched out of a dominant white Silkie male crossed to a Cochin bantam female. You can see there's a tinge of color to the skin on the female (purple leg band), but it was not very apparent in person and I didn't realize she was a pullet until much later.

View attachment 3412681View attachment 3412682

A few weeks later, the skin color difference was more apparent (but they were also quite fluffy, so their feet don't show much in their pictures, sorry about that!) :

View attachment 3412692View attachment 3412690
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Where is the best place to look for skin color in chicks? Legs, face or body?

Yes, the males would be light skinned cuckoo paint and the females would be dark skinned paint.
Thank you. I'm not sure how many chicks will be paint, because I don't know if my rooster is homozygous or heterozygous for dominant white. This will be my first batch of chicks from him.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Where is the best place to look for skin color in chicks? Legs, face or body?

Legs. I never looked at the body, so I don't know if that works as well, but the face can be misleading.

Case in point, two siblings of the birds I posted above. Neither inherited dominant white, so they were sexable immediately. When the first hatched, I thought I'd gotten a pullet based on the face, then realized his shanks were pale.

indignant peeppeep.jpg
Blue SiCo mix.jpg

A bit unrelated, but what does it mean when chicks have light tips of their toes? This is one of my silkie chicks from last year. As it grew the toes all turned black. Is this bad or does it not matter as long as they turn black when the chick gets older?

20220429_175454.jpg

I'm a bit confused. Out of this pairing I should've gotten dark skinned non-cuckoo females and light skinned cuckoo
The first chick that hatched has dark skin and no cuckoo head spot.
The second chick has a cuckoo headspot, but the skin appears to be dark. (All photos are of this chick)
Since my rooster is white he could be hiding anything under it.

Question: Could this chick's skin still lighten over time or should I assume it's a female and my rooster is barred under the white?

Attachments

• IMG-20230325-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230325-WA0006.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230325_113049.jpg
    20230325_113049.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230325_113033.jpg
    20230325_113033.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom