Will they lay again

roben88

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Had a question, we have 3 hens roughly 3 years old.. they produced very well until February this year... one went through a hard molt and one a simple molt.. My daughter added to the flock in April with 4 more chicks and surprising one roo... now my older 3 are not laying eggs... all are free roam in the back yard, fresh water, fresh food, shelter (1 coop...I know we need to add one)... just don't know why there are no eggs anymore.. last egg we got was I want to say in June.

they produced very well until February this year... one went through a hard molt and one a simple molt
They molted in February?
Where in this world do you live?

now my older 3 are not laying eggs... all are free roam in the back yard
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

They molted in February?
Where in this world do you live?

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Lol, we live in south Texas so its hot all the time... thought the one who did a hard molt was dying she looked beyond horrible the other one was very subtle about it... it seems the new ones took over the coop but the older ones didn't really nest in there much only for laying... thinking a need to add another to help ease the situation and pin then up at night in it until afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom