Will this baby make it?

YOU NEED to break her or GIVE her away she is brooding her life away literally and NOT in control of her hormones that are causing it. DO you need tips on how to do this? Surely your daughter wants her pet hen healthy. Please let us know if you need tips for broody breaking, adopting, etc and include pics of your set up if you like. :)

She will NOT get bored and just quit she will keep on until she dies from malnutrition. She should not be eating layer feed if allowed to brood long term. Layer is for active layers. Consider using a flock raiser or grower with oyster shell on the side for more active layers.

Some SIlkie's I had would go broody every 3rd egg they laid regardless of whether I let them sit and hatch eggs and raise a clutch or just broke them. I bred Silkies for a few years and had a little Silkie army in the end. They weren't the bird for me... mostly because of the excess broodyness. Some ladies would only go broody twice a year or so and that's not excessive. Anyways, I truly DO get your frustration. :barnie (life is too short for stupid birds, no more SIlkies for me :tongue (to Silkies) :oops: We did have some that were very well rounded, even their laying ability... more breeders should aim for it, while sticking to the SOP.

Collecting eggs as soon as they are laid makes ZERO difference. As stated, they will brood air.

Not all Silkies have vaulted skulls. They are known as determined and stubborn truly... but they are fairly handicapped if put in a new environment once their crest has blinded them. They are not all created equal.

Maybe there is too much activity or flock dynamics going on for her to be successful? Nest hopping is a real problem. But broody's don;t go into lockdown like incubators... they still need to eat, poo, drink... Usually when they hear peeping they should be cued to sit tighter.

Feed store chicks adopted in the middle of the night, after a couple week of sitting is a good option IF you know she is capable or are prepared to raise them yourself.

If her eggs went missing then something stole or ate them... unless hen is actively seen doing it... she cannot be held accountable, especially if eggs get broken defending her nest from flock mates. Rats have been known to eat broody hens alive... they are in a trans like state.

Congrats on your next little one! :wee
I’ve tried breaking her in the past and it didn’t work. I’ll have to try again though. Maybe I’ll pick up a rabbit cage when I get little peep a friend (there’s no way I’m giving this chick back to her). The only cage we have is a big dog crate, but she can fit through the bottom section lol.

we only have the 1 silkie, she’s adorable, but man. She’s so stubborn.

Does this look like it’s closing? It’s starting to get real feisty when I rewrap it in its egg/paper towel. I’ve checked in twice in 7hrs.
EDE4AC0D-A22C-4B08-9780-B0C6AFE3D983.jpeg

67101980-EAB7-4DAF-A1A0-88C609FBE256.jpeg

How do I know when to let it out of the shell?
I’ve read tons of posts about this and almost all of them have the chicks out of the shell in the incubator.

is keeping it in the shell preventing it from drying out?

i hate no knowing what I’m doing.

no, this is the only one that made it this far. She started with 5 eggs. Last week 3 of them disappeared. There was this one and another egg. The other egg was a goner.

I need to figure out what to do with the hen. After this one broke she hopped nests. I can’t really break her either. And last fall she killed a chick by not staying in the nest and it followed her out of the coop and got cold and died.
I don't know if this applies with silkies but broodyness can be caused by having more sunlight in the spring. I have heard that you can stop a hen from laying by putting her in a dark room alone. Maybe this will work with your hen. Make sure that she is getting enough food and water. it was said earlier, make sure she gets enough food and water. try keeping her away from any eggs and nesting boxes. Good luck with this hen and the chick!

You can let it come out. Sorry I was taking care of the birds. Just put the chick in a tall bowl in the bator and let it close up.

You can let it come out. Sorry I was taking care of the birds. Just put the chick in a tall bowl in the bator and let it close up.
It’s cool.

I don’t have an incubator, so it’s in a plastic bin on a heating pad with a regular lamp pointed at it. Plus I have our space heater going.

I didn’t have any bacitracin or neosporin but I did have mupirocin (I think that’s how it’s spelt lol).

B8416CCE-B130-44C2-86F6-9C4B0E9BE8D4.jpeg

9047D70D-0C42-43C6-AE64-5313518E2A90.jpeg

It’s cool.

I don’t have an incubator, so it’s in a plastic bin on a heating pad with a regular lamp pointed at it. Plus I have our space heater going.

I didn’t have any bacitracin or neosporin but I did have mupirocin (I think that’s how it’s spelt lol).

View attachment 2066020
View attachment 2066021
Oh, sorry I forgot you don't have one. Just leave it open then. Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment? I would pick up the chick and gently rub him/her with a toothbrush to fluff it up. Don't get the navel though. Has it opened its eyes at all? Just say nice things to it while you fluff it up, and be really gentle. Do you have a thermometer to put next to the chick so you can see how warm it is down there?

Oh, sorry I forgot you don't have one. Just leave it open then. Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment? I would pick up the chick and gently rub him/her with a toothbrush to fluff it up. Don't get the navel though. Has it opened its eyes at all? Just say nice things to it while you fluff it up, and be really gentle. Do you have a thermometer to put next to the chick so you can see how warm it is down there?

i don’t. I had one last year but it’s lost under the porch where the birds hang out in the summer lol.

every once in a while it’ll open its eyes a bit. Mostly now it’s just peeping and bicycling it’s legs.

I tried to clean it’s head a bit earlier but felt it was getting chilled so I gave up for then lol.

i don’t. I had one last year but it’s lost under the porch where the birds hang out in the summer lol.

every once in a while it’ll open its eyes a bit. Mostly now it’s just peeping and bicycling it’s legs.

I tried to clean it’s head a bit earlier but felt it was getting chilled so I gave up for then lol.
Sounds good. Just watch it close, I would get up overnight a couple times and check on it just to be safe. Crossing my fingers that I wake up to a good update in the morning!

Little peep made it through another night. It’s fluffed up and peeping, it can stand on its haunches (or knees? Lol). But isn’t fully standing yet. It’s also try to preen, which is adorable

I got some bactine and sprayed it on the umbilicus. They were out of betadine at our Walmart. Plus some new triple antibx, since ours expired in 2019 lol. Also got some nutri-drench, put some of it along it’s beak.

I don’t want to put any water/food in the brooder until it’s more stable. I’m worried it’ll drown at this point.

It’s still pretty sleepy, but it’s also a preemie, so I’m not sure what else I can do lol.
I am definitely mama lol.

oh and if anyone cares, it’s a lavender Orpington/Easter egger mix. It’s big sister from the same parents is fully black with a muff and floppy cushion comb.
EC30A861-732E-4294-8725-D23C638A64E1.jpeg

2A1DF3D8-44B4-4474-83C3-4FFDD350801D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom