Will this roo create a black sex link?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Below is a picture of my rooster, but I'm not sure what he is. I am currently incubating some eggs he fathered with a barred rock hen. Will these two create a black sex link?

91792_102_8765.jpg

Looks as though he also has dominant white so you may also get white cocks with barring and white hens from the mating.

Quote:
I agree- he carries dominant white. Some or all of the chicks will be white- it depends on how many dominant white genes he carries.

He looks like a red sex-linked X rhode island red offspring. The cross could be rhode island red x red sex-linked cross, either way will produce the male.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree- he carries dominant white. Some or all of the chicks will be white- it depends on how many dominant white genes he carries.

He looks like a red sex-linked X rhode island red offspring. The cross could be rhode island red x red sex-linked cross, either way will produce the male.

Tim

so the barring will still determine the sex of the offspring, right?

I remember someone having a "reverse" black sex-link hen here, white with gold or red on the neck/breast, is that what OPs hens might look like? Cause she was pretty!

Quote:
No, the sex of the offspring will determine barring. I don't see any barring in this rooster, so when crossed with a barred rock hen the female offspring will not be barred and the male offspring will have one copy of the barred gene. The question comes in as to whether you will be able to see the barring on the male offspring, either the spot at hatch or later when the adult plumage comes in.

Quote:

Tim

so the barring will still determine the sex of the offspring, right?

I remember someone having a "reverse" black sex-link hen here, white with gold or red on the neck/breast, is that what OPs hens might look like? Cause she was pretty!

On the chicks that are white you can not tell. The black chicks will show the head spot (male) or the lack thereof (female). This male will produce some white chicks when crossed with a barred rock.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom