will this work for hatching the quail

jimmythechicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
mansfield
i am at my lock down day an heard the do better if you put them in little cups so they can stand up will this set up work the blue ones are water as you know lg dont hold much water
big_smile.png

59947_eggs_001.jpg

59947_eggs_002.jpg

we never candled them to many eggs but they did fell like they had good weight on most of them when we moved them so we have our fingures crossed how big of a brooder should we need to set up for 50 bob whites i am used to chickens but they are alot bigger my brooder i have for my chicks is 26in x 18 in will that be big enough for like 40 bob whites

I would worry about one of the babies drowning in one of the cups of water. I had one drown in the waterer and the opening was much smaller than one of those cups plus shallower.

I agree with TCollier.. You wouldn't think that the newly hatched chicks would be able to hop out and into another cup.. But they will. In the wild a newly hatched chick would have to be ready to run. Just like a newborn deer, they are practically born on their feet

That set-up looks kind of scary to me, actually, sorry! It's so hard to know all the variables when hatching, and I still get it wrong and end up with injured and dead birds because of something I didn't foresee (like a baby getting caught in the stand for the thermometer and being trapped there until it was so badly injured it had to be culled).

I can see the babies getting stuck in the cups as they're trying to get out, or after they get out... I can see them turning the cups over and creating havoc in there... or getting into the water cups and drowning... or getting trapped between cups and having to be rescued...

I have found that the key to safe hatching is simplicity. I use some trays for holding the eggs upright, but if I didn't have the right sized trays I would prefer to just lay them on their sides in there. I don't use cups or dishes of water at all, except the trays under the wire--too much opportunity for drowning. I just use wet rags arranged inside the incubator--the babies can get wet on them, but they can't drown in a rag. And I take all excess furniture out of the incubator--I don't even leave a thermometer in there any longer, because I now have a probe thermometer I can stick through a vent hole.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
sad.png
Your set-up definitely looks innovative, and I know you must have put some time and thought into it. We've done similar things and realized it was not such a god idea after all. I hope my input helps some.

By the way, why are all your eggs so WHITE? Mine are almost never white--but I have coturnix--maybe yours are some other species?

Whatever you end up doing, good luck! I am sending happy hatching vibes!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone an dont worry about hurting my feelings i just want them to hatch an be safe so thanks soooooooooo much here are so new pics we fixed it up.they are bob white
59947_eg_001.jpg

59947_eg_002.jpg

does this look better? i hope we get a couple to hatch we have never used a bator before it is alot easyier to have our broody hen hatch them.lol

Back
Top Bottom