Will Tylan harm chickens that are not sick?

jcabral

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
So of my flock of 6, one of them seems to maybe have a respitory issue. She is sneezing, she had some snot the other day, and she is laying, but not as consistent as she normally does. None of my other chickens seem to have any issues. I was thinking about getting some of the tylan water soluble tablets to put in the water. I figured that in case it does spread to the other ones, it would not hurt them to get a little medicine to catch it before it gets bad. I did not know though if it would affect them poorly to have some if they did not have any problems? I have thought about doing the injection, but I am somewhat reluctant to do it. Any suggestions? Does the water kind work? Any help would be great. Thanks

I never like to treat healthy birds, so I would treat just the sick one in an isolated place and pray the others don't get sick.

-Kathy

I agree with Casportpony. You never want to treat healthy birds with antibiotics. If they get something later on, the antibiotic may be ineffective due to bacterial resistance. Same with humans, you've heard about it in the media.
Since only one bird is affected, I would look for something in the environment that is causing the sneezing. Also, hens cut back laying during the winter, this is normal.

What could it be in the environment? Nothing has really changed in the last week or two when it started. I was curious also why only one is showing these signs.

What could it be in the environment? Nothing has really changed in the last week or two when it started. I was curious also why only one is showing these signs.
Dust, mold, or an ammonia odor in the coop can cause sneezing. The virus, infectious bronchitis or IB can also cause sneezing with a bit of nasal secretions. Here is a list of the common diseases, with symptoms and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Environmental issues could be ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, inhalation of feed dust or feed particle, dustbathing, DE, pesticide use, pollen etc...all of these issues can be corrected or eliminated. Another probable cause could be mold or fungus. Keeping everything as dry as possible is imperative.
If it were a respiratory disease, your other birds would be infected and showing symptoms as well.

Thank you for the feedback. Just an update, today the same one had really bad diareaha, and started shaking her head a lot. I separated her from the flock and put some antibiotics in her water. We will see what happens I guess.

Your Hen sounds a lot like my Roo. My Roo ended up having an upper respiratory infection, and I was giving him water soluble tetracycline. It wasn't working because he wasn't consuming enough water. I talked to a vet friend and she suggested Tylan 50 injectable, but to give it to him orally for 5-7 days. (I'm way to scared of needles) We are on day 3 and he has stopped shaking his head, and his stool is solid. He is also very perky and loving. He is a bantam so she said to give him 1/4cc 2 times daily for 5-7 days. Also to keep him away from our girls and the cold. If she is about 8 pounds you can do 1/2cc 2 times daily, that is the recommended dosage for my egg laying girls. I asked just in case they ever get sick. I also have been giving my boy some electrolytes in his water. She said once he is done with his treatment to give him probiotics as well to help build up his immune system. If you are comfortable injecting, it's the same dosage, just for 3-4 days.

Thanks jadedcupcake. I was wondering if she is going to drink enough water for it to work. Im not really scared of needles, I guess I am just reluctant because I dont really want to hit a wrong spot with it or something. Today is day two of the water soluble kind, so I will see how she is acting tomorrow and if shes not better I may just get the injectable kind. Were any of your other chickens affected by your roo's sickness or was he the only one to get it? How did you determine that it was in fact a respitory issue? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks jadedcupcake. I was wondering if she is going to drink enough water for it to work. Im not really scared of needles, I guess I am just reluctant because I dont really want to hit a wrong spot with it or something. Today is day two of the water soluble kind, so I will see how she is acting tomorrow and if shes not better I may just get the injectable kind. Were any of your other chickens affected by your roo's sickness or was he the only one to get it? How did you determine that it was in fact a respitory issue? Thanks again.
You can give her the injectable stuff orally, you just have to do it for 5-7 days. I am terrified of injecting my Roo, so he gets his orally. He has this yellow cheesy stuff in his ears and nose, he also was constantly shaking his head, and yawning. His comb was also getting a little swollen. He however still ate and drank normally. After doing tons of research and finally talking to a friend of mine who know an aviary vet, we determined it's a upper respiratory infection. My roo currently lives in doors and away from my girls, so I have no idea if it's contagious. I got him from my boyfriend's dad flock of babies, and he is developmentally slower than most of his brothers and sisters. He was picked on really bad by them and is naked under his wings due to the stress. I'm nursing him back to health. I did notice though the other day while at my boyfriend's dad house that some of the flock had some of the same symptoms my little Leo has. For his treatment, I've had him under his heat lamp, I give him his meds orally 2 times a day at 1/4ccs a dose. I also have electrolytes in his water. He seems like he is doing so much better!

Back
Top Bottom