winter and egg laying

tmulleady

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Southwest Missouri
Hope some one can tell me if this is normal! I have three chickens, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 New Hampshire Red. I know that it is normal for egg production to slow down in the winter but until last week my girls have been averaging 2 to 3 eggs a day. Then all of a sudden ALL three stopped laying at the same time. We have gotten no eggs at all for about a week now. The first couple of days I didn't think anything of it because of the cold and gloomy weather, but that lasted only a couple of days and since it has been 50 to 60 degrees and sunny. I thought they would pick back up by now. Is this normal? If so what can I do to get them started again? By the way my ladies are about 9 months old now.

Hope some one can tell me if this is normal! I have three chickens, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 New Hampshire Red. I know that it is normal for egg production to slow down in the winter but until last week my girls have been averaging 2 to 3 eggs a day. Then all of a sudden ALL three stopped laying at the same time. We have gotten no eggs at all for about a week now. The first couple of days I didn't think anything of it because of the cold and gloomy weather, but that lasted only a couple of days and since it has been 50 to 60 degrees and sunny. I thought they would pick back up by now. Is this normal? If so what can I do to get them started again? By the way my ladies are about 9 months old now.

Are any of them showing signs of broodiness?
Have there been any stressors - ie a predator attempt, a change in routine, a change in diet, etc?
Are you seeing any unusual amounts of feathers in the coop/run? While not at the age the first big molt would be expected, it could be a mini-molt.

Back
Top Bottom