Winter any advice?

Easter eggers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
It is suppose to snow here in az and a temp of 35 degrees. But my hens roost outside they have a roof over where they roost and will be protected from the snow so can they stay outside?

Your chickens should be OK, afterall, they are wearing down coats. Hopefully they won't get wet and can be sheltered from the wind. I see you are in AZ...I have seen people in extra-warm climates like ours---have what they call 'run in' shelters that are open on one side and closed on 3--- like a big wooden crate---- As long as they are safe from predators, maybe find a little more shelter for them if the weather is wet and cold/windy. They could use the run in shelter if they wanted it or stay on the roost if they didn't.

I was talking with a man the other day who's chicken reached age 12-years---- and she slept in a tree ALL the time. We have had cold down to 16-degrees over the past few years--- I don't know how she did it. Chickens are pretty tough customers sometimes.

Last edited:
Yup...there shouldn't be any problem. Some chickens prefer to sleep in the trees! Wild turkeys do...they'll be fine.

OOk how bout me and our COLD COLD winters it is already getting down to 7 degrees and saposed to drop below zero! I live in frickin antartica almost they have a half indoor half outdoor coop I gave them heat lamps inside is it ok to leave them on always for them? I am scared for this winter first winter with chic:rolleyes:kens!

They'll be fine.

But if you're still not sure, CLICK HERE.

smile.png

Ok cool just curious so I could probably go turnoff their lights now sooner than later?
lol.png
they are definatley draft free inside how will I know if they arnt ok in the cold?

Back
Top Bottom